HELP!!! Problems with my new True Perculas

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I gave them their third Formalin bath Tonight. They really seem to be getting better, they look a lot more active and both are eating now. The female is kind of picky about food and she only eats small pieces, the male will it whatever I offer. The spots in the skin went away but they left behind some physical damage on the skin that probably will take time to heal.

I tried the Anti-Parasite Medicated Fish Food but they did not like it at all. Tomorrow I'm going to try mixing it with Formula 1 to see if they will take it.

Anyway, things are looking better. :)

Last edited:
The clowns are looking way better and eating well. I was just wondering if I should continue with the Formalin baths?

Last edited:
The instructions suggested 3 to 5 baths. I have already giving them 3 and the spots are not spreading anymore but the skin where they used to be still looks funky. As I mentioned before they are very active and eating well.

No more Formalin baths then?

Three is all it takes. But if you're unsure about the results, do the 5. No harm to do up to 5. :)

Thanks for your response Lee. I decided to go ahead and do 5 baths just to be sure. Today I gave their the fourth one.

I can't believe how different they look now; they are so active swimming all over the QT, still eating well (he still eats more than she does but I guess they are just different). They really look happy!

By the way BTTRFLYGRL, Cyclopeeze seem to be their favorite food so far.

I can't thank you all enough for your help and your patience!

THANKS!!! :)

Last edited:
That is way good news. Keep doing it right. I don't think I would have had the patience. I have done lot's of stuff but not a QT yet. But I have also not introduced any new fish. Still QT is the way to go. I hope your percs make it.

The Percs are doing great, it looks like they are going to make it. I was wondering when do I start counting the quarantine and how long should I wait to re introduce them in the tank?

IMO, total quarantine is never less than 6 weeks. If you have treated for brooklynellosis, then after that treatment I would hold them in QT for another 4 weeks to verify the treatment was a success; that they don't have any other problems; to fatten them up; and, to further acclimate.

How did the de-worming go? Has the feces changed/improved?

I believe they are better. The now are pink and I rarely see strings. It's been really hard to medicate them with the Anti-Parasite Medicated Fish Food because they hate it but they would eat a couple of pieces every now and then.

I got home late last night and the clowns were looking really strange. The female was hiding in a pvc elbow and the male was next to her swimming almost sitting at the bottom of the tank. I tried to feed them but they were not really interested. I did a 50% water change just in case and a few minutes later they were a little bit more active. I checked all the parameters and they looked right. For some reason they look somehow scared and it seems like both of them are trying to hide in the pvc.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Good idea to to do a water change. How often are you doing them? I do them often in qt, sometimes everyday but I'm a little anal:D
Even though I keep the bioballs in my sump months before, I just don't trust them to keep water paremeters stable.
You may watch for secondary infections or maybe they are just being silly Clowns? They don't get their name for nothing;)
As long as they are still eating, their probably okay..Just keep an eye on them

Water changes are the best you can do for the time. However, keep in mind there is much more to water quality than just the few things you can measure with test kits. This will give you some additional information regarding that:
http://www.reefland.com/forum/saltwater-fish-only-aquariums/21726-what-water-quality.html

I also hope that you are making sure your water changes are 'perfect' for these fishes. That is, you should be following these guidelines when you make a wate change:
http://www.reefland.com/forum/saltwater-fish-only-aquariums/21166-how-do-i-do-water-change.html

If the new water doesn't match the water you're replacing with the important parameters, then this too can be very stressful for the fish.

Make sure at this time you stop feeding the medicated foods. Stick with regular foods.

Lee, thanks for the articles. Water change have been done correctly then.

Yesterday I made another 50% water change and now they are eating well again but they still look afraid. A fellow reefer mentioned that I may want to try some anti-stress for a few days and also that they start acting wierd when the breed.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I'd say more than likely they are setting up a territory; unfamiliar and 'un-trusting' of you (you need to spend time in front of the aquarium, just sitting); and probably are scared of you grabbing them for another formalin dip! :D Remember what they've been through. :)

This reminds me of my hippo, at first he'd jump at everything, now when he sees me he follows me, wonder if he thinks I should feed him every time:)

Update

Just to give you guys an update. The clowns are doing just great, they are still eating well, swimming very active and it looks like they already established their territories. Each one of them picked a piece of pvc and every time they get scared they go back to it, it's very funny.

Also I found out that last week when I got home and they were acting weird, they were just sleeping. I've been checking them out at night when all the lights are out and they act exactly the same way as that day but the next day they are normal.

Kind of embarrassing I know... :oops:

I will start feeding them with the medication food again this week but I have not seen anymore white stringy feces. Now they are more like brown pellets just like the Formula 1 they have been eating.

It’s all good for now… Once again, thank you all for your help and support! :)

Here's a picture I took Today:

Last edited:
Back