Help... Spider Web In Tank!!!!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bengeeee

We'll guys, i have what looks like a spider web. I will get pictures soon but whatever it is seems to be trapping spaghetti worms. It is a circle like shape and is attached to the bottom of my sand bed as well as some Live rock.

What the heck is it? Ever heard of such a thing.

Ben

PICS

344%3A63%3A723232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D879%3D%3C8%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3A%3C669%3A662ot1lsi

344%3A63%3A723232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D879%3D%3C8%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3A%3C669%3A672ot1lsi

i've also noticed these white cocoon like things all over my live rock. They are the little white dots on the lr in the following pic.

344%3A63%3A723232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D879%3D%3C8%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3A%3C669%3A693ot1lsi

Any idea what any of these are. Do you think they are harmful?

Ben

A sixline will make a sack to sleep in for protection, it is normal and good, the white fuzzy thingies look like pods, another good thing, I would need maybe a better pic to see it that is true but in the most part you shold be ok.

great thanks. I'd heard of another type of wrasse doing this but didnt realize my 6 line would. Thanks a lot, i was about to pull it out of the aquarium.

Ben

Do the white cocoon/dot things resemble these Scypha ciliata? They are a type of sponge.

esv070cd22.jpg

NaH2O said:
Do the white cocoon/dot things resemble these Scypha ciliata? They are a type of sponge.

esv070cd22.jpg

no.. they are more like spider egg web cocoon things.

Thanks though appreciate it,

Ben

p.s. they are pictured above

thanks but i was actually talking about the white spots on the rock of the last pic.

Thanks,

Ben

hey Nikki about the sponges, are they good?
i've seen them in my tank they are very tiny.
and bangee i had the same thing and i believe its because of the six line :)

Gabriela - the sponges are fine - they are harmless filter feeders.

I am having a hard time trying to figure out where the white specks are. Skimerwhisperer might have a good point. Nerite eggs do look just like sesame seeds. Here's a pic from my tank. What types of snails do you have?

450neriteeggs.jpg

NaH2O said:
Gabriela - the sponges are fine - they are harmless filter feeders.

I am having a hard time trying to figure out where the white specks are. Skimerwhisperer might have a good point. Nerite eggs do look just like sesame seeds. Here's a pic from my tank. What types of snails do you have?

450neriteeggs.jpg

We'll i have bumble bee snails, and some others call mud whelks i believe. I got the system almost exactly as it sits now so i may have some unidentified snails.

Thanks,

Ben

White strings are usually caused by Vermetid Worms; which are harmless sessile inverts that are pretty common. If you get too many it's often a sign of overfeeding and/or inadequate filtration.

Clayton

oh sorry i didnt mean to be rude. If you mean the bottom pic in the first few that i posted then i think you might mean the worms. Unless there is something that i am not seeing and having just completely missed.

Ben

No problem at all; but those aren't worms. Although most people assume they are a type of tube worm, those long strings are actually made by a type of sessile snail called a Vermetid. They spit out what looks like a spider web to catch debris in the water, and then suck it back in and consume what's caught.

Clayton

im still confused. I have so many of these worms
344%3A856723232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D879%3D%3C8%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3A%3B398%3A496ot1lsi
and unless i still dont see exactly what you are talking about that is what they are. I am not quite sure what you are referring to or for that matter even which picture you are referring to.

Please elaborate... i am now even more confused as to what is going on in my tank.

Ben

Back