Help urgen Brain dieing

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

aaron7405

Hi there

Last week i tookm some corals than where nearly dieing out from a LFS, TYestarday I saw a brain than where ate by some moucos, I dont lknow if thare anything to do, cut the healty part (if there is one) or take out of the tank.

The is another coral too tyhan is been eating up please ID and tell me what to do.

Cut it, take it out ?

Watter parameter are OK . they are in a quarentine tank amon with another damage corals, bouble coral, some softies, 2 anemonies.

i'm not an expert and i hope someone can give you better advice
have you tried feeding the brain?... if i was me, i'd feed the brain some misys shrimp (if you have any inverts, make sure they don't steal the food from it) every couple of days and put it in a shaded area and just let it be.. i think it has a chance to live if well fed and with good care :) ...... just my opinion dood

THe pink one looks like a gonipora on its way out. Im afraid theres nothing you can do.

The brain should return with feeding twice a week and and good water conditions.

THe pink one looks like a gonipora on its way out. Im afraid theres nothing you can do.

The brain should return with feeding twice a week and and good water conditions.

the thing on the brain is than the damage part is going and going every minute. It is consuming it. Shoul I cut that part to stop it?

About the gonipora, Should try to frag the still good part?

Hey man, sorry about the brain. I also had some issues recently with mine:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25801

Check out the thread for some tips, but when you mention good water parameters, could you go into that a bit? what are you testing for and what levels are they at? One challenge I had was my alk was way way too low. are you testing for alk/CA ? I noticed my CA was high and found out later this could be attributed to low alk.

As for immediate things you can do, use a turkey baster and blow the dead brain tissue away. If you notice any 'brown jelly' as they say, you should dip it. Honestly though dude, it doesnt look too bad at all. Take a water sample to your LFS and have them check out alk/ca/ph/sg, they will probably let you know quick what your issues are.

holy shyte, those are some nasty infections in that link. aaron, any update on the brain? still receding?

Last edited:
looks like brown jelly

i was just thinking the same thing as J dood....it kind of looks like brown Jelly on the brain.
i found this article about it....your pic sort of looks like that.

http://www.ericborneman.com/Brown Jelly /Brown Jelly.html

Yes it looks like brown jelly

This thing is sprading fast, look at the picture I just took and compare it with yestarday pics and is relly fast eating the brain I will have to act fast. I wil try to cut it today.

Thanx a lot I will update with some inmfo latter to see how it progress.

I willl cut the other coral too.

*moving this thread to Anthony's forum for his advice...

i'd try the first methods suggested in the link before cutting it .

Treatment of brown jelly infections is possible, but must be done quickly to avoid losses. As much of the digested tissue, or jelly, should be siphoned or brushed off the afflicted coral outside of the main tank. The mix of dead tissue and microorganisms can spread to nearby corals. Once cleansed of the excess tissue debris, a vigorous seawater rinse or a Lugol’s dip can be performed. It is best to use the least stressful methods first and see if the result is satisfactory. Excessive treatment or stress, such as through the use of antibiotics, may cause a coral to become susceptible to other infection, or may result in the bleaching or loss of the entire coral.

then this if it's not working

. If it appears that none of the above methods are halting the progress of the infection, the coral should be cut, snipped, or cleaved slightly ahead of the progressing jelly and placed in a quarantine tank.

aaron, have you thought about giving them a dip in a seachem or kent marine dip?

Unfurtunally I work in Mexico and here is very very dificult to get any goods related to saltwater.

I usually gets everything when I go to US.

Thats is Why LFS are bad here they dont know how to handle the needs of each coral.

Personally, I don't think brown jelly is the first problem people get. From what I've read, it seems to me like brown jelly is something of a secondary infection to some other affliction. But once it's started, it's hard to stop (even if you stop the initiating problem)... like an infection in a wound.

Anyway... I know that doesn't help much. But I guess I'd just like to encourage you to continue thinking about what other problems you might be having. For example, your goniopora doesn't look quite doomed to me, but it does look like it's starving to death (IMO).

Last edited:
Thanks for moving this here Nikki... I realize all are trying to help here too, but there is some really inaccurate advice being given (and some great advice too). To summarize:

- these corals are not dying per se... but they do appear to be showing signs of attrition. Regular feeding will get them back to vigorous health in just 2-3 months. Feed small bits of food daily (meaty... like cyclop-eeze, minced mysis shrimp, coral frenzy, golden pearls, etc)

- increased water flow will likely help the healing and reduce the algae encroachment

- there is no sign of brown jelly infection whatsoever... only a barely denuded corallum in some spots and very basic microalgae settling there

- the smaller polyped coral is Alveopora (rather aquarium hardy) and it appears to be irritated by too much light (they are low light species). This coral is no Goniopora... and it is not dying. Just irritated.

With good water flow and better feeding, these specimens will recover in mere weeks/months.

Best of luck/life, Anth-

Thanks for moving this here Nikki... I realize all are trying to help here too, but there is some really inaccurate advice being given (and some great advice too). To summarize:

- these corals are not dying per se... but they do appear to be showing signs of attrition. Regular feeding will get them back to vigorous health in just 2-3 months. Feed small bits of food daily (meaty... like cyclop-eeze, minced mysis shrimp, coral frenzy, golden pearls, etc)

- increased water flow will likely help the healing and reduce the algae encroachment

- there is no sign of brown jelly infection whatsoever... only a barely denuded corallum in some spots and very basic microalgae settling there

- the smaller polyped coral is Alveopora (rather aquarium hardy) and it appears to be irritated by too much light (they are low light species). This coral is no Goniopora... and it is not dying. Just irritated.

With good water flow and better feeding, these specimens will recover in mere weeks/months.

Best of luck/life, Anth-

Thanx for the replay anthony

But about the bain something is eating it. in just 2 days has been gone almost half.

About the ligth on alveopora, bouth are under 18w flourecent bulbs. But I will move it to some shade.

Thans a lotr and I will keep the treat update.

Hmmm... my apologies. I'm answering queries too fast and have made a mistake. If the brain is receeding that quickly, than indeed it would indicate some kind of pathogen. Put the coral on a tile saw (or some other electric saw of the like) and cut away the infected portion. Be aggressive about this and enter well into the good tissue area (as much as an inch if you can spare it.

High water flow and daily feeding will still be key/crucial. No worries if the coral does not have a mouth at that point... there will be secondary digestion further out on the coral.

Do see the threads about feeding Goniopora for some extra insight for feeding its like kin Alveopora.

and cut away the infected portion.

sorry about my ignorance but how do you cut a brain :p ? i mean with what tools? :)

Unfurtunally I work in Mexico and here is very very dificult to get any goods related to saltwater

i lived there most of my life and you're the first person i know that has an aquarium over there as i never got to see one in Mexico City....exept when i used to go to Acapulco :) ..... heck i never saw a lfs over there more than the going to the neighbours for a beta or goldfish :p.

Last edited:
a ceramic tile saw is perhaps the best (safe/fast/clean)

you can get portable ones at Lowes/HD for under $60 often... certainly under $80

Else a side cutting bit on a Dremmel (sloppy but works... and cheaper)

OK I did cut it , harder than I tought, I have a hand saw and I just could not cut it, I had to use a hammer and a mansonery point, I did a nace clean cut. I know is not the best way but im not in US rigth now and is hard to get some things here in mexico.

So far is has been developing good and I am starting with a target feeding.

I will updating this post to let you know hows everithing is goin.

Thanx a lot anthony.

Thanx a lot everyone on reeffrontiers

Back