Help w/ bulkhead sizes for a 120g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ronj

Blue Tang
i got my tank in.. i also got the Mega-flow kits that came with it....each kit came with one 1" bulkhead and 2 of the 3/4" bulkheads.. the hole in the 3/4" bulkheads are the same, but the outside diameter is different.. i have to order a few new bulkheads because i don't want the ones that came with it with the barb fittings.. i don't know which ones to get... can anyone help????

You get the slip on type, which you will need to glue on the pipe or you get the threaded type, where you thread on a pipe with a fitting on it which is glued. The threaded fittings require an extra fitting but you can take it apart if needed. One better than the other, well glued properly your done, threaded could possibly leak if not tefloned properly & tightened enough. Either or has benefits depending on how you look at it.

i am getting the threaded type, but that is not my problem.. there are 2 different 3/4 bulkheads that came with the kit.. one says iot is a 3/4 bulkhead.. the other says it is a 3/4 universal.... the 3/4 universal looks like it is the one i need to use, but i don't know where to buy the threaded 3/4" universal.....Premium aquatics doesn't seem to have the one i need.....the holes in the tank are all the same size..they all look like 1" holes.. the 3/4 universal just downsizes the hole to a 3/4"...where can i get the 3/4 universal threaded type???

Measure the hole Diameter & get the BH that will fit inside it, i usually prefer the HD bulkheads but they require a larger hole. If you need the most flow & already have the holes made, then most probably it is the regular BH's & not HD's. GO to the Marine Depot site & look at their Bh's in the plumbing section, they have the charts!

I agree, always go as big as you can go because you can easily reduce but not so easy in enlarge LOL!

all of the holes in the tank appear to be the same size...1-5/8.... does this sound right???

i saw that at Marine Depot but i only need 2 of the 3/4" bulkheads...i need the other 2 to be 1" and they don't have any that fit the 1-5/8" hole

You may be limited to what they provide because the bottom is tempered. I'd make all the holes drains & come over the top for the returns, you want to get maximum drainage & 3/4" isn't much. Also you can check other sites & see If you can actually get a BH that is bigger to fit in that size hole, not all parts are created equal.

i didn't have this problem on my last All-Glass tank... i ordered the normal 3/4" and 1" bulkheads and they worked fine, but there were also 2 different sized holes in the overflows.. this new tank has 4 holes that are all the same size???

It being a new tank, still dry, I would inquire about that from the seller, maybe even have them take it back & send you a tank with the proper size holes. To me, 1" isn't big enough for a drain anyways, but at least you could double up on them & have enough. JMO!

well i ended up buying 4 of the 1" bulkheads today.. i just got the regular ones..the drains are 1" and the return pipe is supposed to be 3/4....... the pipes in the overflow kit are even 3/4".. i am just going to hook up all of the 1" bulkheads and i will get two adapters to make the return pipes 3/4"

the holes that are in the tank itself are all made for a 1" bulkhead....the 2 return bulkheads that came with the overflow kit were the same size(outside diameter) as 1", but they have a reducer built into the bulkhead itself making it a 3/4".... i am going to do the same thing with the new bulkheads that i ordered.. i am just going to get some reducers and add them into the 3/4 return pipe in the overflow box itself

hey, i'm going through the same thing. with my 135g. i have (2) 3/4" bulkheads in the overflow & (3) others throughout the bottom of the tank. I'm about to enlarge the holes to fit 1 1/2" bulkheads.

3/4" bulkheads in the overflow will only give you 360gph of filtrated water. Ideally a reef tank has 3-6x turnover through the sump.

Back