Help w/LED lighting for new shallow cube tank...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

str8juizy

saltygurl
Hey guys, I need some help finding the best but most inexpensive led lighting for my new tank. I am picking up a 24x24x10 (I think it is about 30 gallons) cube tank tomorrow and want to set it up with LED lighting. I will have mostly sps in it. Can anyone point me in the direction I should go in for lighting? Thanks!

Rachel

So depending on what you are trying to do. A light system for a tank that size "DIY" is going to be the cheapest. If you are going for bought, then from what I have read MAXspect is nice and powerful.

OK, so I am thinking of going with the Par38 20k or full spectrum bulbs. I think from looking that 2 should be enough for the tank... any thoughts? I also need suggestions for my 7 gallon nano... what do I put over it? It will be mostly softies/zoas with possibly a couple of lps like acans.

Hey guys, I need some help finding the best but most inexpensive led lighting for my new tank. I am picking up a 24x24x10 (I think it is about 30 gallons) cube tank tomorrow and want to set it up with LED lighting. I will have mostly sps in it. Can anyone point me in the direction I should go in for lighting? Thanks!

Rachel

What about these? Simple screw on. Havent tried them, so no comments on these, except I have seen them in action... just want to give you options.
LEDs - PAR Bulbs - Rapid LED

Well, the price is right on those bulbs but for $10 more I can get the full spectrum ones with the red in them too. Anyone have any feedback on adding red to the color spectrum?

@ Norahs_Dad - Thanks for the links, I loved the last one with the halide/led experiment on the 800 gallon tank!
@ 1guydude - thanks! I would take it but I need more than one and really think I want to try out the full spectrum bulb :)

Ive tried the rapids (older model) and currently use the ecoexotic ones. 20k are best imo. They are powerful but need to be placed every 6" or so.

I personally want to try a couple with the reds rachel. If u do get em, id love to come take a peek or hear wat u have to say. Most people are adding cyan (green) not red or magenta which i want to add for the colors!

Hey, another question... what is the difference in the optics? The bulbs I am thinking about have 3 options... 60, 90 & 120... what do the optics do and what would be best over a 24X24 cube?

@ 1guydude - The Par38 bulbs I am looking at are 18watts, blue, white, violet, red & turqoise... what do you think about that?

At barrierreef they have the exocotic par38 tricolor LED for $120 i think. And you can ask Aquanut what her say on those. I have seen it person and im impress with the punch to a deeper tank.

The lens or optics are for how wide or beam you want your light is. Those numbers are degrees measured from one side of the cone to the other. And not from center to one aide of the cone.

I just havent seen any par on those par38 leds. But this is what i can say, Aquanut have two 12k 250 watt reeflux overdriven by hqi ballasts, and i was hoping that when you turn on and off these par38, you will not see any difference at all since they will be washed out by the intensity of those two mh bulbs, i was wrong. Thats why im impress. Very un scientific, but still im impress.

Brad, have you used it? there is a giant thread right now about these on a different forum, and it looks promising?

I have one with only white and blue. I like it but two things I would have changed were optic's and color. I think it looks good with blue and white but I would at least add violet 420. I did add 60 degree optics to the outer rows and I like that. I have mine at 70-80% and I am getting good growth on my cube. 24x24x25.

I think it is funny when people are worried about buying electronics from china. when they are made in the US the parts all come from china. The thread that you are talking about is probably the hottest reef thread for the last three months.

@juicy +1 the optics and degree of the optics is the spread of the light. Just the footprint of the beam. 40d optics are much more narrow than 90deg or 80 or 120deg. which are more open. Simple protractor might help too... like for school and math and that other stuff i dont do much of.

However the more narrow the beam the more deeper the light will penetrate. Mine are 40d optics with 3w leds... the ones ur talking about juicy are most likely 1w or maybe 3w's powered down to 2w's for life span on the leds.
Id spend the money and get the 3 colored ecoexotics from barrier! Or u can buy mine :) but its white.

HTHs

Back