Help w/ Pickle Lime

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fishead77

Dork
I am adding pickle lime to my top off water for the first time. I got the idea from the tread dosing calc. When I mix the pickle lime with ro water, 2tsps. per gallon. How long do I let the water sit before siphoning off the good stuff from the sediment?

you would wait at least a few hours (overnight is definitely long enough). You'll know cuz when you 1st mix it up, the water will be cloudy. When it's ready, most of the lime will settle to the bottom & the water will be clear again.

hth,
Rob

you would wait at least a few hours (overnight is definitely long enough). You'll know cuz when you 1st mix it up, the water will be cloudy. When it's ready, most of the lime will settle to the bottom & the water will be clear again.

hth,
Rob

ok, i mixed it an hour ago and it's still cloudy. thanks.

I let mine sit for at least a day. Keep it covered to keep the PH high. I mix 35 gal at a time. My top off is around 6 gal a day.

I let mine sit for at least a day. Keep it covered to keep the PH high. I mix 35 gal at a time. My top off is around 6 gal a day.

Holy Cow! 6 gallons a day. Your humidity in your house must be very high! How do you deliver the lime water to your tank? Why do you want to keep the ph so high? High PH = good ?

I am in the same boat as Brenden. Depending on how many fans are running, I top off between 5-9 gpd. Not all kalk. Lately I haven't been using any at all....................................
As for delivering it to the tank, use an old salt bucket and drill a hole about 1.5" off the bottom. Get a cheap little valve from Kevin, some airline, and control the flow into your tank that way.

What charlie said will work great. My personal favorite is a dosage pump set up to run 15 minutes every hour or two. However the pump set up will cost you $$ and is not needed.

I have an ATO for my top off. I evaporate about a gallon a day. 90g tank with a 55g sump (about 30+ gallons in the sump). I want to use my ATO to deliver kalk but am conserned it will add too much too fast. It would be perfect if this would work. I would guess it adds 2 to 3 cups at a time. What do you think? Thx, Brian.

Kalk will send your ph through the roof. This is why you add is so slow. Also why some use it to patch a real ph problem. Keep it away from your pumps and watch your ph meter until you get the hang of it.

Don

Back