Help w/planning for a calcium reactor

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Do you think aqualifter pumps would be better? It seems they would sure dose much more solution than a peristaltic pump so I'm sure some type of drip regulator or something would be needed. I don't really see any other option than using plug-in timers for me though. Is there something else that you have in mind?

Do you think aqualifter pumps would be better? It seems they would sure dose much more solution than a peristaltic pump so I'm sure some type of drip regulator or something would be needed. I don't really see any other option than using plug-in timers for me though. Is there something else that you have in mind?

Not better or worse for that matter. I like to think ahead a little. I like the aqualifters because they are cheap and I could replace one if it goes out easily and cheaply. For the $12 its worth giving one a test drive to see if it works for your application. You can test it with just water so no foul if it doesnt work.

I dislike plug in timers for probably the same reasons as everyone else but the other options are expensive. Altronix makes a nice 2 output timer for about $120. Superfeed has one for about $80 but would need some relays.

Ive been working on a all in one package system for over a year now. As soon as TPS started their business I new two part would become a hit, but the methods would expensive. We have a beta system going on my office tank in about two weeks. I can let you know when that is up if you want to come down and see it. It will have programmable timers that will go all the way down to 1/60 of a second. Its just a 8" x 6 plastic box with 4 hoses comming out of it and one power cord. It uses a pair of aqualifters and infared timers.

As of now these are the only options besides plug in timers that I can think of that would be close to reliable.

Don

Sounds like a sweet little setup that you are setting up, I sure wish you were a little closer so I could check it out. Specs on the aqualifter pump state about 3.5 gal/hr, which is about 200ml per minute, and obviously more output that I'm looking for. What do you think would be the best option to limit the output from the aqualifter? Do you know of a good restrictor valve that could be used? I think I may order up a few aqua lifters and see if the output can be throttled down to a consistent drip so I could use them with conventional digital timers. Any ideas there would be much appreciated.

You wont get rated flow. By the the time you add tubing and any head height it will fall pretty fast. The one on my test bench is dosing 10ml in 22 seconds every 24 hrs and has for the last 3 months or so. It has 4 ft of tubing on the output going into a 5gallon jug. The pump is under the holding container on a little stand. I have it set up to dose into a 60ml syringe without the plunger. This way it puts a visual 10ml into the syringe and then just drips out over a period of time.
Anyways I would guess that even a loop in the tubing would create enough head to slow the flow.

Don

I'm sure it take a little trial and error to get the flow rate correct. I've ordered two aqua lifters and just got all of the materials to make the two part. I'll test the flow once they show up and maybe throw on one of these on each tube and adjust as needed.
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/8317/cid/2120

One of these may work but I think the other one may be easier to adjust:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pr...28C185487CEF81066FE4F78F1A7659072C6108B846A63

On a side note, what size tubing does the aqua lifter require? I haven't used one in about two years so I can't remember. I was hoping to order a few valves today so I wouldn't have to wait too long until I'm up and running.

Regular air line tube. Both of those valves are overkill. HD has little valves in the drip irrigation section that will do just fine for less than $2.

Don

As long as something local is available I'm good with that. I'll post back in here once I get all of the materials and give it a whirl. Thanks a ton for your responses Don, you have been most helpful!

The search for a good digital timer has left me unimpressed...what about using an AC Jr controller? I could program two of the outlets to dose independently and even shut off if the PH raises too high. I'm guessing the timers on that thing would be more dependable than a cheap-o timer from Home Depot. Plus it would be a cool toy to play with :)

The search for a good digital timer has left me unimpressed...what about using an AC Jr controller? I could program two of the outlets to dose independently and even shut off if the PH raises too high. I'm guessing the timers on that thing would be more dependable than a cheap-o timer from Home Depot. Plus it would be a cool toy to play with :)

I dont know if it will do seconds but it will do minutes.Try the aqualifters first and determine the type of control you need. I dont use valves so I would do a little experimenting to see if it will work.

Don

I'll pick up some of those irrigation valves that you mentioned from HD and give those a shot once the aqualifters show up. But I did pull the trigger on the AC Jr., DC8, lab PH probe, etc, and hopefully I'll have everything by the end of the week. This thread sure has taken a few turns from setting up a calcium reactor, to dosing two-part, using peristaltic pumps, DIY'ing my own, to aqualifters, and finally ended up with a controller, lol. I do appreciate your help though as your advice has been most helpful.

Hey Don,
Any easy way to prevent the solution siphoning through the aqualifters? It keeps dripping once the timer shuts off the pumps. I used the cheap irrigation valves from HD and got the flow rate down to about 5ml per minute. That should be slow enough to fine-tune my needs, once I figure out how to shut the flow off once the time is up.

Back