Help with a skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pandora32

I met a guy a couple days ago that has a 10g tank thats been up and running for a month. I tested all his parameters yesterday for him and all looks good. Problem is he got SCREWED by a store (dont wanna say names, but you know who you are!) when he got his setup. He bought a tank, sand, filter, light, heater and 6 damsels, went home and set it up, tossed the fish in, still alive. He said he wants to keep corals and a gobie and a shrimp, but mostly corals. He spent $400 this!!!! His filtet is way to small, its for freshwater and his lighting is for a freshwater tank. He has no circ pump and the sand he was sold is more like gravel. So anyways, i suggested to him what i would do, he agreed with me. Told me i have the go ahead. So im going to take him a t-5 light i have, a couple small frags of easy coral, one of my 750gph koralias and some sand later today. This should get him pointed in the direction hes looking for. My question is this. His tank is 10g, is there a hob skimmer that wont take up much room that would work on this tank? He doesnt have a sump neither. Im just trying to help him out, so im not charging him for the equipment.

That is a bum deal! I would maybe suggest a HOB Sump Fuge with biult in skimmer theres a few on CL, but wow 400 for a whack 10 gallon is a rip off!

I feel bad for the guy. I asked him if hed want a 20L im not using, but he said his landlord wont let him have one that big. I hate it when i hear bout people being taken like that. I almost put the store name out there, but looked around on here and decided itd be best if i dont. Ill see if hed be interested in a hob fuge. Ive never used one or seen one in person. Anything to look out for when buying one?

I think the HOB fuge is a great idea! I run one on my 26. Great addition to a nano tank without taking up so much room.

Cool. Thanks skimmy. I told him about a used cpr bak-pak that just needs a new pump for $20, so you sayin bak pak makes me feel a lil better about telling him about it.

Back