help with anemone

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

spongebob lover

flea whisperer
Hi everyone !!
I got an anemone 2 days ago.
I don't know what kind is it but its kind of white with a little bit of green at the end of its tentacles.
The tentacles are kind of long too.
My clows didn't seem interested in hosting it ( i might have gotten the wrong anemone :p ).
Anyways, it moved right away from the light and it's been hanging upside down from one of my rocks.
Is this normal ? now some of its tentacles kind of shrinked, is that normal too?
How long does it take for them to acclimate or should i try putting it on the sand?

Gabriela - any chance you can call the place you purchased the anemeone and find out what kind it was? I would ask you to post a pic, but since it is not opened up, I don't know if it would help. This article may help with identification, too: WWM Anemones. How did you acclimate the anemone to the tank? Do you know how long the anemone was at the store prior to your purchase? Sometimes anemones shrink down, and it doesn't necessarily mean the worst. How are your tank parameters, how long has your system been up?

I agree with Nikki here :) If you can, a photo will help as well, not only for an ID, but for possible health concerns if there is one.

- Ilham

Most anemones need the light to be turned off or a very low light given to them in a new tank so that they can get use to the flow and water condustions of your tank. and some clown fish are breed in tank and not wild count anymore so they might not know what too do the the unhappy anemone, best thing to do is turn your lights off and over a few days turn them on one more light a day untill all are on ,but only turn your lights on for the nomal time a day or your other fish might start to freck out.

Hanging upside down on the bottom side of the rock sounds very normal to me. For my roses that is a normal "lights out" resting state. Moving him to the sand would probably be a bad move. He needs somewhere to get a grip and would have to go find the rock all over again or it would have to go to the glass to get a grip. The ones you see on the sand have usually dug down and are really attached to the bottom or a rock under there.

Shrinking and expanding are very normal. They can shrink down incredibly small/flat/limp looking and bloom right back to beautiful in no time. They have many appearances.

Bad signs would be the mouth open even slightly or the stomach area exposed. Other bad signs could be the foot not securely anchored or keeping one edge of the foot lifted.

Securely attached with the mouth firmly closed would be a reassuring appearance. Another think you might see is him purge his stomach lining. Spitting out a dark stringy substance from the mouth is common after a move but should not necessarily be anything to panic about.

Keep us posted

One more thought - you mentioned white with green tips. While this could be a normal appearance, it is more than likely a sign of poor health. Once again we don't know what type of anemone it is but...... I have seen (I actually have 2 in my tank right now) that are a georgeous clear white with pink tips. To help them recover they need regular small feedings and with time they will recover the rich darker look of a healthy happy anemone.

Thank you everyone !!
Well i made the bad mistake of moving it to the sand.
(I didn't read the posts on time :cry: )
i tried feeding it before this but it didn't wanna eat i guess, now i also noticed today in the morning that in the middle of its trunk there was kind of like a ring is that a sign of stress?
is there anything i can do? should i still try to keep feeding it?
I'll try to post some pictures its just that i don't have any right now on my coputer :(
But thank you so much for all the info you are giving me

Gabriela - when you moved it, did you notice anything stringy coming out of the anemones mouth or foot? Also, moving the anemone around will be stressful for it, too, so let the anemone figure out where it wants to go. You can also use some window screen on the top of your aquarium (I put my screen ontop of eggcrate) to help acclimate the anemone to your lighting. I used a few sheets, then removed a piece of the screen after several days, and then again about a week later, and so on.

Thank you Nikki
Well i didn't see anything stringy coming out of the mouth, but after i moved it i saw some kind of string :eek: on the rock where it was i don't know if the string was part of the anemone or not :confused: .
I put it on the sand and at first it didn't move from there, but then it moved to another rock and its been on the corner since last night, the trunk kind of got big.
is that a good sign ?
Sorry i can't post any pictures but i broke the thing that passes the pictures from the camera to the computer :(

Gabriella,
MSCinc has given you some good advice.

First of all, quit messing with the anemone. They live in one of two places, on the rockwork, or in the sand. They know which one they prefer and you moving them will only stress the anemone out more like Nikki said.

Anemones have a generally poor track record in captivity, even the "easy" ones like BTA's and LTA's. I would SERIOUSLY reccommend doing as much research as possible on them before adding them to any system. I'm at work right now and dont have access to my saved links and articles, but there are several in the RF resource library. Click on the hotlink under my signature...that should get you started...

When you take a pic of the anemone, we will need a photo of its oral disc and tentacles, and also of the side/base/stalk of the anemone in order to make an ID.

I'm guessing you have either a BTA, or a Magnificent anemone just based on the fact that it likes the rockwork. But I will need photo's to be sure.

Nick

Thank you Nick
ya i haven't touched it since yesterday when i moved it and after after reading all the advice i won't move it at all.
and yes i'm trying to get the pictures.

from the reading i have done, it seems anemonae , like coral, should be added after the system is well established. most need good strong lighting, and regular feedings.

i offer my condylactis gigantae and bta's mashed up seafood from the store (rinsed in ro), or mysis shrimp, just dangle it near by and if it is hungry it will sting it and pull it to its mouth

Back