Help with Aquarium Trim Piece

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ronj

Blue Tang
the piece of black trim that runs across the bottom of my 120 cracked at the corner.. it has been outside for about a year now.. i guess the weather caused it to crack..i bought a new replacement trim piece.. i am wondering if anyone has ever taken one of and replaced it before.. should i just use silicone to put the new one on???

I haven't taken any trim off before, but I would have to guess that silicone would do the trick.

Replacing bottom trim on a glass tank

I will assume this is a glass tank. Get one of those retractable razor knives at the hardware or dollar store. The long wider blade ones that are disposable. May want to buy two, their cheap, handy and you might break one.

Extend the blade long enough so you can get a good grip of the handle while the blade is pressed flat against the glass. Be careful the blade may snap if bowed to much. Work the blade between the trim and glass all the way around the sides and bottom. With a little work and patience you should be able to get it off with little resistance.

Using the razor, scape away any excessive silicone off the glass from the old trim. Apply aquarium safe silicone to the trim and reapply. Not too much silicone or you will have a mess. Use masking or electrical tape to keep pressure against the trim till it dries. I like electrical tape because it some what stretches and you can get a little more hold with it. Tape every six inches should be more than enough.

Let dry for 24 hours and DO NOT try to clean up any of the excess silicone that may ooze out between the trim and glass. You will make a huge mess. Wait till it dries and use the razor knife and just carefully cut it away.

Good Luck

+1 to fishdink

and take it from someone who has been to the emergancy room.
DON'T! have you'r hand in the path the blade will go if it should break.
The medical bill costed me my 75g bowfront completion :doubt: (for now:rolleyes:)

and I was just able to line up the silicone into the brace and just have a buddy help me lower the tank int the new bottom brace.
Tank has more weight than electrical tape can generate and when it's cured you know the tank is evenly flat.

Good luck.

I was just able to line up the silicone into the brace and just have a buddy help me lower the tank int the new bottom brace.
Tank has more weight than electrical tape can generate and when it's cured you know the tank is evenly flat.

that's what i was thinking..that's exactly what i was going to try to do.. i still haven't gotten a chance to mess with it.. i have to get a climate controlled storage unit before i can fix the tank.. i won't be using it for at least another year.. i don't want it to sit outside for that long just to have it crack again

it's a 120g, so its pretty heavy.. i'm going to flip it over to put the trim piece on and then set it down on its bottom with all the weight on it to dry

most tank trim is one molded piece all the way around for a reason. i would try and get the whole piece and replace it alltogether if the tank is going to be used for a long period of time.

Back