Help with Chiller set up.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LarryB

As always reef keeping throws twists and turns at you. I got my chiller the other day, and for some reason I thought it was an all inclusive device, water gently pumped in, chilled and returned to my tank, no questions asked. As it turns out there is something called "Head presssure" that must be cacluated, with a minimun of 500 gallons per hour passing through the chiller for the thing to function. 500 gallons, minimun. And this is a 36 gallon tank.
So, that means I somehow have to disperse all that water coming back into the tank. Mind you I had a maxijet 1200 in there for flow and it was stressing out the fish, and they only plump I think 250 gallons per hour. So, the help I need is how am I going spread out all that water coming back in the tank with out blowing my fish out of the water?

a bit more about the tank. It is a 36 gallon corner tank, with a hang on the back refugium and no sump.

nothing is ever as easy as it seems to be in this hobby is it? Too bad the stand I have is not set up for a sump, I have always wanted one. So a spray bar huh?

I doubt a mj would stress any fish. Your tank should easily handle 500gph even 6 times that.

Don

Back