Help with condylactus

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kriswaters

I just resuced this poor creature from bad conditions...I am worried about introducing it to my reek tank. Any input would be helpful

Kris

Is there a way you could quarantine it? If not...from what I understand that is not a pacific anemone. So my reading would head to Atlantic/Carri. Anemones.

Yes, I have him in the sump...trying to find a home for him now. I have heard several stories of folks having them successfully...I guess I fear taking the chance.

Kris

The sump sounds like the best place for now as I have been told they don't need a tremondous amount of light at least short term, just feed.

I've known people who keep Condis with no problem at all...even have Clowns hosting in them. On the other hand, they are an Atlantic species and no clowns are found in the Atlantic. The general thought on Condis is that they're just as likely to eat your fish as host them...lol. I don't know a lot about how they wander. I do believe that they're a sand dwelling anemone. I've also heard that they pack one heck of a sting, even to us humans.

" Purple Condylactis
Purple Condylactis, Condylactis gigantea, is known by many names, including the Atlantic Purple, Caribbean, or Haitian Purple Anemone. Because of its price and the fact that it will tolerate (although not thrive in) less-than perfect water, it is a common starter anemone for the reef aquarist looking for a first anemone aquarium addition. The term "starter" should not be construed as "easy to care for." Anemones require a strong lighting setup and will wither and fail with anything less. Low dissolved organic matter will help its overall health, so the use of a protein skimmer is recommended. High Nitrate levels will likely lead to its demise. The Condylactis can be a good reef inhabitant if it finds a spot it prefers where it is out of reach of corals that it will sting and injure. Some specimens may choose to roam and may cause damage. The Condylactis and Clownfish do not occur together in the wild, so it is not a natural host for any specific Clownfish species. The home aquarist may, however, find some Clarkii, Sebae, or Tomato Clownfish will seek it as a host. Target feedings of pieces of fish, krill, or mussels are readily accepted. The addition of Iodine is a necessity for continued health.

Purple Condylactis is not a natural host for Clownfish, but aquarists may find the following species to establish a relationship: Cinnamon, Clarkii, Maroon, Sebae, Tomato, Yellow Stripe Maroon.

I have read into detail about this anenome...just wondering what success or failures others have had. For now, he will reside in the sump with a CF. I will try to find another home for him. I am such a realist and an activist...

Cynical the Tenticle, as named by my daughter Rylie, is now safely in the hands of my LFS.

Scott took the zip lock baggie, containing the glorous long tenticles, dotted with purple and said "For me?"....

It's good to no he will end up with a good home eventually. I was torn...he stayed in one place in the sump and didn't bother a thing. I wanted to add him to the display, but risking the fish and corals wasn't worth it.

I wonder if I'll ever be brave enough to have an anenome in my tank.

Time will tell....

Kris

Back