Help with crab ID

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rorning

The other day I noticed a small piece of live rock in my aquarium moving a little about every minute or so. Come to find out that there is this small crab about the size of a dime under the rock. The crab had borrowed out a small hole in the rock which he was hiding in. I forgot to mention that the rock is about 100 to 200 times his size and he can move it with ease. This worries me because the crab can obviously harm my live rock. He is a standard proportioned crab (like the emerald crab), his legs are red and his body/shell is green (maybe it is just algae). He has a pretty large pincher for his size.

Has anyone seen a crab like this? Is he harmful?

I will take a picture of him as soon as I get a chance.

Ummm you could ask Witfull but I know what he will say, CRABS ARE EVIL! There is a very short list of reef safe crabs. And most of them are not reef safe.

Some people will say NO crabe is reef safe. I say it trial and error. I have green emeralds,blue legs,redlegs,(rare) red emerald and, a few sally light foots. I did have to trap one sally and take it out due to it nipping at my sps. I also have to grey crabs that only come out at night. I still have no idea what they are!? The only eat algea that I have noticed over the passed five years. So IMEAO NOT all crabs are EVIL! :D But as for being reef safe? TRIAL AND ERROR!

Martin

I have had no bad luck from the micro blue leg hermits, and the scarlet reef hermit. I have one emerald left in my tank that is the master of getting away. I have after catching the others and trying unsuccessfully to catch him taken to trying to skewer him with a kebob skewer. Still no luck. He is a pro. Steve

Here is a picture of the crab, you can barely see him. Just look for the little red legs. I will edit this post with a better picture soon.

Last edited:
Back