HELP with new ballast (Lumatek 250w)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Smitty222

Hello all,

I hope someone has a good idea or has already done this. I have a 72" Odyssey MH lighting system. Their super high quality ballast went out so I bought a new 250w Lumatek ballast. The connections are not the same! What to do, what to do? Do I splice the wire or open the lighting unit and try to hook the new ballast up that way? The wires are not the same gauge, and I'm affraid the old wire connection may be soldered, and I have no clue how to do that. Any help would be great...

Smitty

I would say splicing should be easy. 3 wires. Although I have not done this myself so I can not be 100% sure or held responsible. I too have 2x 250w Lumatek Ballast but use Reef Optix II MH retrofits.

I bought a adapter cord from the LfS and soldered it to a computer cord. I did this so I would not have to cut either the ballast cord or the light cord.

I bought a adapter cord from the LfS and soldered it to a computer cord. I did this so I would not have to cut either the ballast cord or the light cord.

Was there a ground wire on the adapter cord that you bought? If so what did you solder that to? The light fixture wire coming off the end does not have a ground just black and white wires.

Back