help with nitrate levels

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

nananurse

I have a 80 gallon fish and reef aquarium ammonia is 0 nitrite 0 ph 8.2 but my nitrate is running 20 - 40. I have a seaclone protein skimmer 2 power heads and my filter is a aqua clear 500. My livestock is 2 clarkis 2 royal grammas 1 yellow tang 1 yellow foxface 1 red sea serpent star 1 mandarin goby 3 sand sifting stars 2 emerald crabs and numerous snails and hermit crabs.

I would get rid of the aquaclear, they can produce nitrates if not cleaned often. Also i dont think the seaclone is enough for an 80 gallon, increasing your flow might also be helpful.

How old is the tank, and do you use RO/DI water?

I use s Tap water filter but it takes forever. My tank has been up since October. Are you saying not to use a filter at all? I have a maxi jet 1200 on one end and a 900 on the other. My water is crystal clear and the foxface and tang keep all the algae off the rocks. Would a cpr bakpak be any better? I have one of those on my 50 gallon tank.

I would scrap the bakpak on a tank that size. I have had one and they are good but the true max is like 40 gallons. they say sixty. get a remora skimmer. you can keep the aquaclear 500 but if nitrates are your problem then use a nitrate remover and carbon in it.

I would also test your filtered tap water (not sure what type of filter you have), if you haven't done so. Be sure your test can be used on freshwater (I think Salifert can). Just to eliminate that as a possible source.

Like Nikki is saying, if I do water changes with tap water here. I am putting in about 20ppm nitrate. For me instead of using a freshwater kit, I just mix up saltwater to test. You can make one gallon easy. I never had even thought about using a freshwater kit. It probley would be much easier. If you have the lighting for them clams are awesome. A bigger skimmer would help too. HTH Steve

All of the suggestions above are good. With any nutrient problem its best to find the source before taking any action. You dont mention if you have live rock or floor substrate. Knowing a little more about your system would be helpful. You mentioned a tap water filter. What type is it?

Don

How often do you perform water changes and at what % ? How often are you feeding the fish? I sometimes use tap water with no problems but our water is really good for tap (< 8 ppm trates & 70-80 ppm TDS). Bigger skimmer is a step in the right direction... I am VERY happy with my remora pro (mag 3).

I probably have about 80 lbs of live rock and my substrate is sand. My tap water filter is aquarium pharmaceuticals. I do about 10% water change every other week and 25% monthly. My water looks really clear and no algae problems. I am going to get a remora pro skimmer and I have ordered a 18 watt turbo sterilizer with a maxi jet 1200 pump. I feed the fish once daily

sounds like you are on the right track. I haven't gone to uv yet but one of the most important things I have learned while keeping sps is nutrient control. you should have better luck with the tank from now on.

Back