Help with one more fish for my 210g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Timbo1519

I have a 210 gallon mixed reef tank with tons of live rock and approx 50 different corals.

I thought I was fully stocked but really want a splash of yellow from a fish. Any reccomendations? Should I add anymore fish or am I at my limit? I really would love something yellow but not a yellow tang.

My current fish load is as follows:

Emperor Angelfish
Blue hippo tang
Red sea sailfin tang
Flame angelfish
Bluejaw trigger
Leopard wrasse
Percula clownfish (male and female pair)
Small green chromis x 6

Im not Lee and dont have my 210 running any more. But at 14 fish, four of which will get real big, I'd say you are realistically at your limit. Of course you can crowd a few more in there but then they will get stressed and your filtration will have to work that much harder too.

Foxface are easygoing and keep algea from getting out of control always grazing on the rocks. Some even school as a group. Not expensive and easy to find.

If you 'measure' the length of those fishes at near full growth, the tank is fully stocked. Let them grow and enjoy a good tank, without adding stress. :)

Be careful if you get a rabbit fish. I had a fox face that did real good in my mixed reef at home. I got a scribbled rabbit fish for my wifes office tank. The scibbled ate her zoos, zoas, and palys real quick.

Ive always found that no matter what size my tank is, FW or SW. There is always a balanced limit. When I had my 120 SW it was a max of 11. When I added more fish, regardless of size one always died and I eventually ended up with only 11. In my 210 it was 14, three large tangs and a lot of small fish like yours. When I added more, up to 18 at one point (chromis and anthias) the smaller fish died and I ended up with 14.

I know that the fish get "old hat" after a while, but I urge you to fight the urge to "add" something new. A cool new coral that can grow has much less impact on the balance of things. :becky:

Thanks again to everyone for the input. I am going to stick with what I have. No more fish. The blue hippo tang and Emperor both have yellow on them so I will be happy with that.

This is my second Emperor Angelfish in 12 years of being in the hobby. My first Emperor was a model citizen as far as corals go. He never touched a single coral but he was a bully to beat all bullys. He picked on all the other fish and even would grunt at me sometimes to get out of his way lol. Of course they grunt alot when they are hungry or to warn off other fish. Emperors are like a pet dog. They love to eat from your hand. My first one would let me run my fingers along his side and "pet" him.
Of course my Blue Jaw Trigger loves to eat from my hand too but he has teeth and you have to be careful.
This is my second Emperor and she seems to get along with all the other fish but there are a few corals she has taken a liking to. First off I had to get rid of my Elegance. She loved that one from day one. She also loves my duncans. she has picked at the acans a couple times but I only have two acans. They seemed bothered at first but have opened back up and are doing great. Other than that she leaves everything else alone. If you name the coral I probably have it. So I suppose it could be alot worse. I loved my elegance so it pained me to have to part with it.

thanks...how many times a day do u feed your fish? I find if I feed 3-4 times a day, I'm OK with no nipping..just curious what other people who have large angels are experiencing.

thx

I dont think you tank is overstocked, there are a lot of yellow options that are not yellow tangs.

Stop in sometime to talk im a great local resource.

Redc

get a regal angel............ end of story. i have seen little baby foxfaces lately at the local stores by me. They are cool looking.

Back