Help with pH

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

the6goat6man6

I tested my water today and found my ph to be low, 7.8. My dKH is 7 and cal is high, 500ppm. I am not sure what happened or how to cure it. I have some buffer, I think thats more for alk?

Can anyone help?

when did you test for ph if it was when the lights are out or lights were on for a little bit then it will be lower. i test about 3 hours before the lights go out.

do you have an airstone and pump if so get some of your tank water and put it into a cup and aerate the tank water in the cup for about 20 mins then test the ph again if its higher then you have a gas exchange issue. if there is no change test your new salt water and go from there.

is your canopy a closed in top or the stand closed in? might wanna put a fan pointing behind the stand to circulate flow in also point a power head towards the surface of the water

Last edited:
I have put a fan on it today, because for some reason it is getting alittle warm. And yes it is closed in and the sump/fuge is in the closet next to it.
I think the warming issue is due to the extra sun we have gotten lately, normally there is leaves on the tree shading that side of the house. Today it was sunny and warm, great change of weather for once. Now I just need to get my pH straight! Thank you for your help, I think it is an air issue, pH is slowly rising

if you sump is in a closet you need to pump fresh air into that room or this will be an ongoing battle until you do. you can put a simple bathroom vent fan in the top of the closet and have it vent air out and pull fresh air in

Ok, now I just had a situation! I was just doing a little cleaning and noticed some cyano on my heater probe. So I gently took it out and cleaned it off. Now my tank is reading COLD!!!!! Before I cleaned it off I was reading about 83 degrees, now it is reading 74deg!!!!! Now the heater is going to heat it up, will this effect my animals, with the large temp swing?

Does cyano generate that much heat to through the probe off by 6-7 degrees?

And does temp effect pH?

Back