Help with rescue mission!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Chewelz

I just recently setup a small 45 gallon system in my basement. Its doing pretty well so far. Everything in the tank was a rescue attempt from a friend that was neglecting his tank and animals. He just didn't have the time needed for the tank upkeep and let it go downhill pretty bad. Everything was covered in hair algae and had been for a long period of time. At one time the tank was awesome. For a 29 gallon he had some pretty cool stuff in there. Most of the soft corals died, but I was able to save a few. He lost all of the sps corals that he had and a number of fish. I also saved 3 small rose anenomes that are doing fine and about 40-50 lbs of rock. The rock has a lot of the purple corraline and green star polyp stuff, but both are still being smothered by the green hair. When I transfered the stuff over, I used a toothbrush to get most of it off. It just keeps coming back with a vengeance. I've lowered the lighting to a minimum and have kept going in and toothbrushing the stuff the best I can. Since I had to do this in such a short amount of time(my friend got a job in California, which is why he left me with the rescue mision) I've spent more money than I wanted to in a very short time. I think it'll pay off in the end for buying water instead of using tap, and setting the system up with decent lighting and filteration. But now I'm dead broke. So, does anyone in the portland area have any crabs,snails or some of those green diamond crabs that I could take off your hands. I scrounged up enough money to buy like 10 crabs the other day, but they're just not cutting it. They need the cavalry to come help out. If you can help me out, that would be awesome and you'd definately help get things started in the right direction for the new system.

Thanks in advance for help and any other ideas!!

I definately think the RO/DI water will help. Have you tested the phosphates in the water? What are the other water parameters? Is there a skimmer? Also, do water changes routinely. If the tank was neglected for a long time, the rock may be trying to get rid of all the junk from the prior set-up. Take a powerhead and really blow the rocks and algae to free the detritus so it can be picked up with the water change or the skimmer. If the frustration still has ya....you may want to stick the rock in a dark bin with water, heater, and powerhead to cook for awhile. Let the rock shed all the junk out.

Hope this helps!

I'm trying to avoid having to take the rock out in a seperate container to rid the tank of the algae. The rock has too much stuff growing on it. I failed to mention all the zoanthids and star polyps. Although, they don't really open up. Since I've started my system about 3 weeks ago, the green star polyps are starting to open back up. But, the zoanthids aren't. Anyone know if they'll eventually open again. I think they were completely starved of light by all the algae in my friends tank. I've brushed them off the best I can. I'm assuming these will just take a little time to re-open.

As for a skimmer, I have one, but not running it yet. I figured I'd give the tank a month or so before setting it up.

Thanks for the input!

I'd try and get the skimmer on as soon as you can. It will really help removing the organics in the water, and you will hopefully start to see the algae die off.

Back