help with setting up a new 125 gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cmiller

chris
i'm thinking about setting up a 125 gallon tank (72x18x20) and wanted to know what (if any) special structural considerations i should take into account with the house. that is, do i need to test to make sure the floor beams in the house will bear the weight of a 125 tank?
thanks for your help.

You should take a little precation. If you are in a newer home you are more than likely fine but the older homes floor joists can't hold as much weight. If your joists are 2x6 or less I would put in a beam. I know I would not trust a 125 g in my home without a beam or wall under it. Good luck with the build

I would highly suggest you have a carpenter or engineer friend look at the flooring. Residential floor code is 40 PSF live load (non permanent load). The average 125 gallon aquarium is about 1400lbs filled. Assuming that weight is even distributed, which most stands don't do, you are looking at 130+ PSF as a permanent load. At the very least you will need to double up on your floor joists.

I would highly suggest you have a carpenter or engineer friend look at the flooring. Residential floor code is 40 PSF live load (non permanent load). The average 125 gallon aquarium is about 1400lbs filled. Assuming that weight is even distributed, which most stands don't do, you are looking at 130+ PSF as a permanent load. At the very least you will need to double up on your floor joists.

great feedback. thanks folks!

Glad to help. Just be sure to get advice from someone knowledgeable (the employee at your local "big box" store doesn't count.)

Back