Help...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Aussiedogs

Do you know if a hippo & powder blue tang will get along with each other? We had a blond naso before and I just loved him or her and would love to have another, but I don't want to over load my tank and I REALLY want an Emperior Angelfish and a couple Squarebox Anthia.

What do you guys think?:confused:

Oh we have a 120 gallon tank... Sorry I guess that's good information to know.:cool:

Thank you for all the help! You guys are always the best!;)

I tend to go against the grain when it comes to stocking but it is doable. I dont think its recomended.

Don

The adult Emperor belongs in a 300 gallon tank so long as the fish is under 6". Then as it gets larger it should be in a 500+ gallon aquarium. They get very large.

The two tangs will get along under certain circumstances: the size difference; how they were introduced into the aquarium (Paracanthurus hepatus should go in first IF it is smaller); how well they are fed; and if they have enough room (no less than a 6 foot long aquarium).

The Anthias are a good choice, providing you can feed them often and in small quantities.

:)

Okay should I not even be looking at these fish do to our tank dem. are 4'Lx2'Wx2'H. Anything you can recommend would be wonderful.

Well, your tank dimensions definitely rule out the Angel. I'd also say that with that tank size, you'd probably be alright with 1 of the Tangs but probably not both. To reduce their aggressiveness towards one another, they would need more "individual" territory than your tank would provide. With the size of your tank, I'd recommend the Hippo Tang over the PBT. Keep in mind that these Tangs VERY frequently are plagued with Ich. Housing them in less than ideal conditions will only exacerbate that problem.

a tank that is 4x2x2 is too small for a Naso tang too, they grow very fast and should have a 180 or larger... I would stick with one tang and the anthias should be fine... I would say in your case if you try to bend the rules you probably will end up losing fish....

Matt

If that is the aquarium dimensions, then I would not stock any adult large Angelfishes, unless you want to put in a juvenile. Similarly, I would not recommend any Tang for that aquarium.

I usually don't recommend fish, because fish choice is a personal matter. I don't know what you like. You can choose almost any fish that is under 5" when fully grown. This includes many Gobies, Damsels, etc. You can also stock the aquarium with up to two dwarf Angels (if there is enough rock work/decorations in the aquarium). A pair of almost any kind of Anemonefishes would work well in there. Some Hawfishes would fit nicely. You can choose some Butterflyfishes too, if you're willing and able to find them a new home when they get above 5" in length. You can still choose juvenile fishes. The young Goldflake is, in my opinion, very attractive. This would need a new home when it grows, though.

You may want to buy a fish book that will give you some additional ideas. :)

Back