Help!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

gfernandes

I'm setting up a 55 gallon reef tank and I'm getting away from the hang on filters and venturing into alternate resources lol. i am 17 i have had this tank set up as just a saltwater before then i took it down and gave fish away because of the algae out bursts that would come and go. so i think it was because of the filter and i have seen all the best looking reef tanks with sumps. could anyone tell direct me with theres i have found a sump refugium but im not even sure if thats the best thing for me to do. im just really confused with it. i also read about tank drilling is there anyone would could help me. Thank you so much if you can. im sure you can understand how confusing this really is for me.
George

Hey George! The reason you probably had algae issues while using the hang on's is because if not taken care of properly (pads changed regularily etc) can result in excess nutrients like nitrates, phosphates being produced which fuels the algae to grow. Some hang on's like the Emperor filters use bio-wheels which are nitrate factories within themslves. Best bet is to allow your live rock to do all of the biolgical filtration for you. Sumps are good as they add more volume to your system (which equals more stability) and also provides a place for un-sightly equipment like skimmers, heaters etc to be placed. For filtration purposes, they can be a big help when used as a refugium to harvest an algae like chaeto for nutrient export etc so I'd say go for it :)

you may not be able to drill that glass if it is tempered glass(pretty sure it is) you will either need a reef ready tank or a hang-on type oerflow..

While a sump is a great thing, you don't need one to have a great looking reef tank. If you're on a budget - which I assume you are since I remember when I was 17 - I'd probably recommend just spending your money on a good amount of live rock and not overstock your tank to start with. A good 75-90 lbs of rock and a good maintenance schedule should keep you from having the issues you had before. Don't get me wrong... sumps are great, but they do add expense to the tank.

i am really starting to think that i want to buy a reaf ready tank its just that much easier lol. but then you think i shouldn't worry about a filter and just add more live rock??

A reef ready tank would probably be the best. check craigslist, they often have complete set-ups(beware though, some people on craigslist tend to overprice!) between 350-3000$

with the budget thing... if your really into it, its worth spending more because your gonna end up spending a lot of money for it anyway.

yeah, i look through the classifieds alot for tanks..it seems like every week, someone is selling a 75g..i see reef ready ones for like $200-$300 complete with stand and canopy.. you can find some good deals like that..

The best place I've gone to is in AUburn MA, next to Worcester. It's 2 hours from Danbury. It's called Krystal Clear aquatics. DO NOT go to Tropic Isle in Framingham, ever! Horribly overpriced, and RUDE! Here's a link that you want to subscribe to!!
http://www.bostonreefers.org
They have a ton of used stuff for sell, and we are all in your neighborhood! Very nice folks there!!

Back