Herbie Method with out overflow box?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

RejectReefer

Has anyone tried this? What are the thought on this? I think in principle it should work. Maybe someone with experience with the Herbie style can give me some insight.

DonW uses one & explains it to me in his thread, just look for it in the "Member Showcase Forum".

I don't. Which is the question. The full siphon pipe is completely submerged. my back pipe would be about 1/4" below the tanks top and above the black strip..... can I fine tune this to keep the water level where I need it?

If I get your question right, you want to set up a pair of standpipes inside the tank with out a overflow box around them as in the video?

What's to keep fish and snails going in?

you are gonna want an internal overflow box to keep fish out of the pipes. also the overflow box will give you surface skimming.

you can use a two part epoxy to make the plex glass box stick to the glass box. then silicon or hot melt glue to seal it...
the two part epoxy i'm talking about (there are tons) is the kind that one would use to stick rocks together or rock to glass. In the UK it goes my Milliput or Aquascape. They sell pretty much the same stuff over here under different names, but you can get it at LFS or online... I think they call it Aquastick or something

I stuck an acrylic overflow box to a glass tank just using silicone aquarium sealer, with no problems.

Yeah I just use silicone myself.
I have one that is about 9 years old now and is still holding just fine.

Do you have a mclendons where you are? I go to my local one and buy my glass (Double Strenght) for the light stuff I do, and they will cut it to size for you at no charge. Then silicone it together and silicone it in the tank. If teeth is what you want then go with acrylic and you can get that at the hardware store of your choice. You can cut it on the table saw or dremel ect.... Then you know the rest.

Who is drilling the tank for you?

Also as I mentioned in your other thread if you want to drill then you can drill the tank across the back and put an external overflow on the tank, then you will not lose any room inside the display. The holes will spill into the overflow giving you surface skimming and you can put eggcrate behind the holes in the overflow so you don't have to worry about fish going into the overflow.

Last edited:
Back