Here are pictures of my sick clowns.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dobly_1999

Last sunday I notice white spots on the head and eyes of both clowns.
Help. Yesterday I didn't notice anything strange. I was working my the MH lights and didn't have on the light yesterday, but this morning when I went downstairs to view the tank. The large clown was at the top of the tank and the small one was laying on the bottom. Both had this film on the surface and very pale looks. I measure the water quailty and it was fine.

largeclown1.jpg

smallclown1.jpg

It may be too late. the ick punchs holes in the gills, and the saltwater leaks in, they cant control the salinity inside their body, and use up all thier energy trying. Lowered salinity helps them to regulate some. Is it a fish only tank?

Is that a film on the fish? If so, I would actually approach this as Brooklynella. I do not see any real evidence of C. irritans. If these are wild caught clowns or unknown, there is a good chance they may be infected as it is pretty common. There is also a (very slim) possibility of velvet or Uronema.

Are there an additional symptoms?

Cheers
Steve

They died

This morning around 11, both died within minutes of each other. Is this disease in my tank. Can I purchase another clown soon? Will a UV light help?

Those are Amphiprion bicinctus.....

I'm sorry they passed away...however, there should have been a QT period and should never have gone to your main tank directly.

There are places that sell captive bred Bicinctus, but do you know if yours are wild or TR?

Best,
ilham

When you say you measured the water quality, what exactly did you test for? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, salinity, pH, all can affect the fish. How long has the tank been up and what else is in there with them? How many gallons, and how much live rock?

Barbie

steve-s said:
Is that a film on the fish? If so, I would actually approach this as Brooklynella.
Cheers
Steve

Yes, that is Brooklynella. When symptoms are that bad, there is almost no chance. Early detection/prevention is best way... :(

Best,
Ilham

The salesman told me they are wild. My tank has been running for 2 months. I am a beginner. I am currently reading The Reef Aquaruim Vol 1 to understand how to manage a reef tank.

I would avoid Amphiprion bicinctus as a first fish.....

Maybe a Clarkii clown? Ocellaris?

Best,
Ilham

dobly_1999 said:
This morning around 11, both died within minutes of each other. Is this disease in my tank. Can I purchase another clown soon? Will a UV light help?
Leave the tank fallow for at least a month before putting another fish in. Water changes and UV sterlization should lick the problem.

4251cpd said:
Leave the tank fallow for at least a month before putting another fish in
Not really necessary with Brooklynella.

Water changes and UV sterlization should lick the problem.
Won't work. Brook lives it's entire life cycle on the fish so UV's would be useless. I don't follow you on the water changes?

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
Not really necessary with Brooklynella.

Won't work. Brook lives it's entire life cycle on the fish so UV's would be useless. I don't follow you on the water changes?

Cheers
Steve
Water changes seems to be the only answer I ever get to any of my problems;) . So I'll stop reading Fenner. So I'm assuming brook is a one time deal? Doesn't it's progeny reside in the tank for some time seeking out host or is that just velvet and ich? Thanks for your time.

Water changes do indeed solve a host of minor (sometimes improve major) problems but I would not include parasites among them.

Doesn't it's progeny reside in the tank for some time seeking out host or is that just velvet and ich?
For the most part it's spread though actual contact, not the parasite free swimming and seeking a host like that of Amyloodinium or Cryptocaryon. In a vast majority of scenario's only infected fish need to be removed from a community tank for treatment. Others should be monitired but unless high risk (species wise: tangs, angles etc) will normally remain unaffected unless husbandry/tank conditions are less than adequate.

Cheers
Steve

Back