Here's a little poll

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Outlets your tank is using everyday.

• Total voters

sedrostyle

Hey everyone. Been cleaning up my tank and getting things in order. Well I got a nice big surge protector. My electrician buddy didn't like what I had going :)

Anyway. Can everyone please post what size tank they have and how many outlets they are using.
Thanks. Steven

55 w/ 20 sump. 9 outlets.

:/

I have two heaters for winter. Ugh.

Oh wow, this is a scary subject, but a very good one.
lets see, on my 90 as my example, but I have 9 things plugged in on it.
on the 75 there are 11. there are two extra cords on the lights.
on my 240 there are 17 things plugged in on it.:scared:

so I voted the average 11

Holy cow. I figured mine was alot at 9. An that's without my sump lights. I guess I shouldve changed it to higher numbers.

LOL..I included the sump lights. I have 6 powerheads. 2 heaters, 4 LED units and 2 return pumps on the 240, so thats why there is so many more.

Yes and no. Because with that you can have multiples within itself. Instead of having 2 powers strips within the main plug In :)
I had 2 power strips down below. Had one with 6 that fit 3 timers. And one for the heaters and power heads.
I'd say no, officially. But I'd still like numbers. :)

We are all fire hazards. :/
My sump light fixture is in bad shape. I haven't made a trip to Lowes. I'm dreading it because I'm going to re plumb my tank/sump/return. Which brings up another question for a later day.
So my sump that has no baffles after the original got broken. So it can stay dark

Now I'm questioning mine. I havea 72 gallon with 30 sump and have 11 without the controllers.

This is with sump light and ATO.
Does not include 2 pumps in the sump to prevent debris settling.
I definitely need to consolidate somehow.

Well with my sump light. And a ato. I'd be right with you. Next question is how do you divide up all those plugs safely.
I also want to start mixing water in my rubber maid and have it heated. That's two more and a pump to pump it out into the tank for water changes.
I know lorries is not all in one room obviously but for someone like me you don't have any other option but to have power strips with power strips. Well for me I have one 10 plug now. Just wondering where I come up with an extra 5 for say other things. Or upgrades.

I have total 13 for my 210.
3 for lights
2 for vortex motors
1 for skimmer
1 for return pump
1 for sump light
1 for uv
1 for ato
1 for vertex reactor
1 for dosing pump.
1 for fan optional

I have an apex and a rkl controller. Originally started with the rkl, then upgraded to the apex. But I kept the rkl instead of selling it since it added more controllable outlets. That's 12 outlets. And another 6 outlet (i think) surge protector for extra outlets or devices that don't need to be controlled.

I mix my water when I need to do a water change so that's done away from the tank.

man i got you all beat on my 360 gallon

12 for my leds
2 for my 3/4 sea swirls
2 for my wavy sea's
2 for mag 9.5's for the wavy sea's
2 for my return pumps mag 18's
2 for my skimmer
1 for heater
1 for auto top off
4 for sump lights
4 for exhaust fans
i do use alot of power strips

man i got you all beat on my 360 gallon

12 for my leds
2 for my 3/4 sea swirls
2 for my wavy sea's
2 for mag 9.5's for the wavy sea's
2 for my return pumps mag 18's
2 for my skimmer
1 for heater
1 for auto top off
4 for sump lights
4 for exhaust fans
i do use alot of power strips

do you have any power left for anything else in your house? LOL

I can not plug the vacuum in, in the family room. It throws the circuit breaker every time. Well the tv and receiver and dtv unit is on too.

oh one more plug for my moon lights. well yes i did cheet. i ran a extension cord from upstairs to run my leds. they key is not to run everything on the same breaker. this is the time of year when we blow alot of breakers. its time to hook up all those christmas lights outside. woo hoo.

38 on my 210 system.

I counted every single plug and some are repeats but all draw electricity.

8 LED drivers
1 fan
1 UPS
4 powerheads
1 AC III
1 Arduino controller
1 powerstrip with lighted switch (the switch draws power so it counts as far as Im concerned)

This is just the display tank, then we get to the tank room

1 Ozone generator
1 Milwakee Ph controller
1 Geo reactor pump
1 Tunze osmolator ATO
1 Ranco heating controller
3 250 watt heaters
1 Air conditioner hooked to the Ranco
2 Frag tank powerheads
1 refugium powerhead
1 frag tank light
1 refugium light
1 heater for make up SW
1 pump for make up SW
the list goes on but you get the point.

On my old system I had 53 outlets. My 200amp main panel and 50amp sub panel in the garage hummed like a transformer when the lights were on. It was kind of scary but I never burned the house down.

I guess I should add, I used to have four dedicated 20 amp circuits for my tank. Now I only have two. I had to rob a couple for my kitchen last spring

13 plugs on my 75gal with 29gal sump. I forgot where they all go :) The real question is how many fires have we had?

Back