Here's a little poll

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Outlets your tank is using everyday.

• Total voters
Oh man this is a tough one, lets see now.

1 Return pump
1 Skimmer
1 Doser
1 Wavemaker
2 Additional power heads
3 Timers for lights (white, actinic, moonlight)
1 Fuge light
1 BRS duel ractor
1 Nitrate reactor
2 Heaters (I like to run under rated heaters so they can't cook my tank)

So I'm at about 14. :fear: No wonder my electric bill is so high :yield:

40b/20L:

1- led's
1- powerhead
1- skimmer
2- heaters
1- return
1- sump light
1- fan during the summer

So 8...but the fun goes away in fall winter and spring...7 for 70% of the year.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

I no longer feel as worried after seeing everyone's lists of devices. I always wondered if the blips in the electricity i experience are due to my tank equipment.

I was thinking the same thing. What safety precautions and/or preventative measures can we take with having so many devices?

I was thinking the same thing. What safety precautions and/or preventative measures can we take with having so many devices?

Well I put in a gfci outlet, don't know if it will help, but seemed like the right thing to do.

I had to take my gfi out. My surge protector would trip every time I plugged in my return pump.

This is crazy stuff. Maybe I don't want a 150+ gallon tank

I have 20 plugs on two 20 amp dedicated circuits for my 240.

I also have 8 plugs on my 50 gallon tank.

The number of outlets needed isn't necessarily the issue, when dealing with all your requirements Power consumption is used to size your circuits accordingly. The fact that you need 20 outlets may meed you have 10 devices but they only use like 5 watts of power. So using a power strip can reduce your wall outlets needed and never overload one circuit.

That does make sense. I guess just seeing all the power cords can look overwhelming.

Looks like the poll should have started with 9 and go upwards of 20+

Trido doesn't two gfi s in line sometimes trip each other? That's what my friends dad said. If it's a good surge protector it will trip the wall gfi.

And yes. The poll shouldve been different. I didn't expect 12 or more. I forgot some people tanks have 3 to 4 leds/ lighting. That's 4 plus. 3 to 4 power heads. Skimmer return. That'd be 10 there. Then heaters.
:)
This is very exciting tho.

Or remote tank rooms and 400+ gallon systems.

Two GFCI's in line might trip each other but a surge protector works differently than a GFCI and should not be tripping because of it. GFCI stands for Ground Fault Circuit Interupter . Basically Its a hyper sensitive circuit breaker. In a nut shell its designed to notice any imbalance between the outgoing power (hot) and incoming neutral. If they are not balanced it will trip, ie. electrical short or stray voltage. Surge protectors do not work the same way, they protect you from too much voltage from, for example, a surge from the street. Your circuit breaker in the panel is designed to control the amperage and will trip if it overheats and keeps the wires from melting down in the wall causing house fires. They all work differently.

Most reefer are running surge protectors behind their GFCI's without issues. If I were to remove any piece of equipment I'd remove the surge protector and keep the GFCI. The GFCI will save your life and the surge protector is not designed to do that.

Since the rep button won't take, and the like button is gone, I will go to the effort to write this out for Trido (Duane)

LIKE!!!

Rep button works for me. Its the little star like the old school sheriffs badge. You click it, add a comment of why you are giving rep power and hit add to reputation :)

Ah man I'm at zero :( I thought you got rep for you post count too :(

I had a pump on my pond that keep tripping my gfci outlet so I moved it to a non gfci outlet within a week the pump was dead. I now have a pump plugged into the gfci and all has been fine for the last two years. I now believe my pump was going bad and that was what was tripping my outlet. I guess we should trust the GFCI breaker and not by pass it.

Idk that's just what my buddy's dad said.
For now. It's working. We even tried it with the pump unplugged. And eventually it tripped it.
The only other outlet on that circuit was one outside one. We moved the gfi outside.
As far as needed more plugs I'll have to get another protector like the one I have now.
Is tapatalk down too for the site? I've been gone so long. I noticed the like button was gone :(
20131122_110718.jpg

Back