Hermit crabs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ricko

Are hermits short lived?? I can't seem to keep them alive longer than six months. I don't think food is a prob as i am a fairly heavy feeder. My cucumber and a couple of trochus i have had for a year or two are healthy but nt sure if they would be competition for food with hermits.

shells for them 2 move in 2?

ive only gotten 2 years outta a hermit...

Larger shells are deffinently a must, but also what do you consider a "hex wrasse"? I tried googling and couldn't come up with anything by that name. But, at any drop a hermit in and watch your wrasse and dottyback to see if they do anything. Both of those fish (wrasse' is general) seem to have the type of appetite that is never full.

Thanks, and good luck :)

-augustus

Larger shells are deffinently a must, but also what do you consider a "hex wrasse"? I tried googling and couldn't come up with anything by that name. But, at any drop a hermit in and watch your wrasse and dottyback to see if they do anything. Both of those fish (wrasse' is general) seem to have the type of appetite that is never full.

Thanks, and good luck :)

-augustus

I think another common name for the Hex is "Sixline". I have never noticed the wrasse and dottyback giving the hermits a second look, but will pay more attention to it.

Also what shells can i use, i can't seem to find any larger ones as all these hermits i get are always the same size.

I've had a Strawberry Pseudochromis pull a hermit out of it's shell and chow down on it. Never had any problems with my 6 lined Wrasse though.

I haven't purchased any hermit crabs for about 3 years and still have several in both of my reef tanks...so mine have lived at least that long.

As for shells, go to Michael's Craft store. They have bags of shells cheap. Rinse them off, dump them in. Be aware that if Hermits don't have larger shells, it's common for them to kill snails and use their shells.

Can't go to Michael's as i'm in OZ, but i will have a look at the LFS'.. Thanks for the feedback, i will watch the dottyback and see if it is her(maybe it is as she's a pig and very overweight).

Back