Hey everyone. New to reefing

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Trongtran0407

So.. I'm new to SW and reefing, but I am being caught along the way by a relative. I bought a neglected 46 gal bow front saltwater tank, restored what I could, and had it cycling for 2 months. I'm a big fan of DIY stuff, very fun to make these stuff. Once the parameters were in ideal conditions, I started buying corals and kinda went overboard :D. They were gorgeous! I couldn't help myself (<~ impulse buyer, haha). So far, no losses. I'm getting ready to upgrade my 10 gal sump to a 20 gal sump so that I can upgrade my HOB skimmer to a fit-in-sump skimmer and to also had a carbon/phosphate reactor. My HOB skimmer is started to be a hassle to deal with (had caused a couple of overflows and nearly wreck my power surges). For the time being, I turned my skimmer very low. If anyone selling a good skimmer in a reasonable price range, please let me know! Thanks!

welcome

glad your having fun.. lots of diy guys here..

classified has many fish related items for sale.

Nice to see more people on here. Welcome to the forum..........Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Better to ask then spend a lot of money learning the hard way. Or worse killing animals due to bad husbandry. Welcome again.

Trong,

Welcome to RF.

Since you are new to the hobby, I would strongly recommend purchasing the following book:

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists (Microcosm/T.F.H. Professional): Robert M. Fenner, Matthew L. Wittenrich, Scott W. Michael: 9781890087999: Amazon.com: Books

I would suggest reading it at least twice. This will answer a majority of your questions, but feel free to ask any question you have.

Along with reading, the only other advice I can offer is slow down. This hobby requires PATIENCE. If you go too fast, bad things will happen and u will spend most of your time fixing your tank INSTEAD of enjoying the hobby.

You are right. It was just that jolt of exciting that I couldn't control :(. Sorry! The tank is properly cycled though with two damsels, and I've only added 1 additional fish ( a lawn mowing blenny) and a couple of crabs/shrimps to eat up the algae that accumulated from the previous owner. I am monitoring my corals like a hawk! I don't think I've done anything seriously wrong. I know adding corals doesn't fluctuate the parameters much, but yes, I do need to slow down and let them grow. As for DIY stuff, I love to tweak things to make it better, can't help it, but I am careful not to let it disrupt the tank. The last thing I'm building is the 20 gal sump, and then finally I can sit back and enjoy just weekly maintenance.

What's a good rule of thump to determine how much light a coral need? Another hobbist told me the brighter the coral, the more light it'll need or the darker the coral, the less light it'll need. I have a dimmable LED set at 30% white and 70% blues. It is hung about 10-12" over my tank and my tank is 21" deep. All of my corals seem to open up fine except for 2: yellow plate and red blasto. I had my red blasto near the top (about 20-22" from the light) and I've just noticed some bleaching on it so I moved it further down. As for my yellow plate, where would be a good place to put it?

Back