Hi guys, have a question about 2 montis that are receding. All other montis are fine.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wentreefgirl

Salt waterlogged!!
Ive had 2 montis for a while now that have been slowing receding. When looking under the mesascope, I dont see nudis but seen what looks like white pods or tic tac shaped objects next the the border of the recession. Any Ideas what I should look for in these corals besides the obvious. Ive dipped in iodine yesterday and blew them with ph but the pods dont dissappear and the corals look the same. One is a rainbow monti and the other is the sky blue with brown polyps. Would love to find a cure. All others are fine like I said.

this sounds like nudi's eating your monti's, I had this happen to me once and I never seen them on it either, they are probably hiding in other places during the day and only on the coral eating at night, have you tried turning the lights on in the middle of the night or shinning a flash light in at night???

Matt

for the montipora eating nudi's, they will hide out during the day and are most active in the evenings. Iodine dip will only help the adults that are on the coral. That leaves the egg sacks to deal with when they hatch. I haven't tried Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure but know lots use this product.

for the montipora eating nudi's, they will hide out during the day and are most active in the evenings. Iodine dip will only help the adults that are on the coral. That leaves the egg sacks to deal with when they hatch. I haven't tried Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure but know lots use this product.

Sue,
Where can people buy this? I visited a company that used this. I want to try it myself.
Thanks in Advance,
Ed

Check this thread:

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15343&highlight=montipora+eating

NaH2O has some good links to this problem. The only known help is soaking in a Levamisole solution. I dissolve 1/4 teaspoon in 5 gallons of tankwater and place all of my montiporas in this solution for 6 hours.

Levamisole hydrochloride can be purchased online in powdered form. It is a sheep and pig dewormer. (Also an immunity booster administered by prescription with chemo-therapy for 100 times the cost).

I have done this several times and think I have nearly got it licked. These nudibranchs are nasty and can destroy every montipora in your tank if you aren't aggressive in treatment.

Sue,
Where can people buy this? I visited a company that used this. I want to try it myself.
Thanks in Advance,
Ed

Hi Ed, I am not sure where it is available. I haven't, {knock on wood} had to use it. I would think any place that sells Tropic Marin products should have it. I see lots use it as a dip before introducing new corals into their reefs.

Back