Hi

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Marinelife82

I joined to learn more about creating a saltwater tank. I love marine life sense I was little. I want to be a marine scientist, but when I was ten and twelve years old I had two strokes. I'm handicap now. I would like to learn about having a few saltwater tanks for a marine lab at home and for a home based business. I hear its hard work and very expensive. Also you need to be sure not to buy fish that were taken out of there habitat etc.

Welcome I am new here also and it is a great place with a lot of helpful people

Welcome to Reef Frontiers. Sounds like an exciting venture for you. We look forward to following along with your progress on setting up your system.
There is a lot of info here. Browse the forums and read read read. We are all more than happy to answer any questions you may have. Tell us more about what you want to accomplish.
Again welcome.

Welcome to Reef Frontiers. Sounds like an exciting venture for you. We look forward to following along with your progress on setting up your system.
There is a lot of info here. Browse the forums and read read read. We are all more than happy to answer any questions you may have. Tell us more about what you want to accomplish.
Again welcome.

i first want to raise plankton first before I get a tank. When I was a kid I had a freshwater tank. My mom's friend's husband had a saltwater tank and payed a lot of money then they all died. He put a lot of money into it. I hear that 20 gallon tanks are easy to manage. I would like to have a few tanks to reprint a wetland like at my state. A mudflat, oyster beds and a eelgrass beds. Those habits are at my beaches.

Can you buy marine life from your waters instead by a breeder? I know that taking them out of there habitat is hard on the animals, and harmful for the environment. I live in southeast. Also with the habits that I want to make for them. I want to film and study them since I live three hours away from the beach. I think that can help me learn more about marine life,

Very kool. Welcome and imo a 40g tank would b best for 1st tank. Not to small so the water chemistry dosent fluctuate and not to big so it's overwhelming.
Again welcome!
-d

A BIG WELCOME TO REEFRONTIERS!!!
in my opinion a 90g tank is a great starter tank u get volume and a nice sized tank and i honestly think its easier to maintain my 90 than my 20. fluctuations on the 20 is so fast and sudden coral hate it. auto top off is a must to maintain salinity but is good to have in any aquarium. also invest in an aquarium controller. digital aquatics reef keeper is verry user freindly and is a big fail safe and power supply with pre programmed features with timer settings to switches and so much more. it the temp raises to high it will shut of heaters and if too extreme (or what temp u set it too) will shut off lighting kick in chellers ect and sound an alarm. so much i deffinately think its a must for the amount of money we put into our systems. this can and will save u allot of money and headaches in the long run. monitors ph, orp, temp. set standbys for feeding or maintenance. eg turn off powerheads and skimmer and anything else u desire. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS DON HESITATE TO ASK!! hope you get addicted as so many of us have and just have fun and do NOTHING FAST!!!!!

Back