High Alk

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ohgee

Hello all,

Once again I need to ask another question. In the process of setting up a tank in preperation of a major move coming on Sunday.

Anyway I have 125gals of water being recirced in tank and it's 100% RO/DI and about 75% fresh salt. The remainer was waterchange water from tank being tore down. The tank is completely devoid of live except a few snails.

My question is this. How do I lower my Alk? Raising it is one thing but I've never had to lower it. Always thought the cure for that was water changes.

New 125gal tank
Alk = 3.66
Ca = 380

Old 150gal tank
Alk = 2.97
Ca = 390

I know the Ca is a little low but I ran out of calcium to raise Instant Ocean.

I do plan on moving about 50% of the water from tank being tore down and adding to new tank but I was tryign to match the two as close as possible from the start.

Any help would be appreciated
Duane

to lower your alk you need to raise your calcium. there is always a balance and if your calcium is high then your alk will be low, if your calcium is low your alk will be high..

Matt

Raising ca will not really lower your alk it may balance the mix and thats about it. I cant really think of a way to lower alk. IO@35ppt tends to run a little high.

Don

Kind of what I was thinking but wanted second opinion. I'll just have to raise Ca and then let both slowly work their way back down.

Thanks for your help Don

Duane

Sorry Matt, you too, any assistance is appreciated when my brain isn't working right :D

Back