high and dry corals

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ric

i have a 10gal.reef tank and i was just wondering if someonne can tell me if its ok or not to expose corals to the air for a few minute while doing water changes.thanks for any info.on this matter

What type of corals? If they are SPS then I wouldn't worry too much as long as it's not extended time out of water under MH. If you are talking LPS or softies, I might be a little worried because part their body weight is supported by the water.

lps are ok out of water for a short time if the lights are out, and they are completley retracted. Its not the best way to do things though. What would be better is to move them down lower in the tank change part of the water and then put them back. Steve

the corals i have that could get exposed to the air are xenia ,elegance,and a bubble coral ,they are under 96watts of pc's

Elegence and Bubble or both very meaty corals. I would try my best to not expose them unless it was absolutely neccesary. If you do let them retract first, and do it quick. Steve

Hi Ric
I do my water changes at lights out - when majority of the corals have retracted this means there is less risk to air exposure and whats more gives me greater access to the tank for syphoning (closed corals expose more bare rock etc ) My aim is to achieve a high sediment to water ratio, the dirtier the water in the bucket the more effective I feel my water change to have been

Steve

So if i have to put my corals up top for lighting reasons and do a water change that makes the level below the corals, how long is okay? (10mins?)

It depends on the coral. My Monti and sps are exposed to air for sometimes 30 mins. They are sometimes exposed in the wild to blazing sunlight, and air for several hours. Tides. LPS and Softies are not to my knowledge exposed like that and have trouble with it. A short time can be ok and it can sometimes not be ok. Its a judgement call. Steve

I am not saying it is OK and quite frankly until this thread I didn't really think about it or really know any better, but I have some xenia and frogspawn that get some exposure when I do a WC, and have never seen any "ill effects". The frogspawn heads are suck in a hole in the LR so they would be easy to move..I think I will from now on. The xenia is on the glass so nothin I can do about that.....I try and do my WC's really quick to minimize the exposure though.

Hmm that brings up an idea too....I could make a cloth curtain to wrap around the glass and then turn out the lights when I do the WC's. This would make the corals retract.

Last edited:
In addition you could do what the LFS round these parts do when selling softies or LPS
Wafting a hand back and forth over the top of them quickly and this makes them close down very quickly - I assume coral is reacting to what may be percieved as an storm and adopts self protective mode
bare hand may not be best idea (depends on your personal feelings on this as many of us are very hands on while others try to keep hands out) in priciple its seems good but subsitute a plastic spatula may be more reef freindly
or as I said before water change late at night or ealry morning - when they are naturally closed

Steve

Back