High calcium, low alkalinity

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

newtoreefs

I've been doing calcium tests and my concentrations are always at the top of the test range (above 500 mg/L). I'm also have lower Alkalinity (3.0 mEg/L). I've been alternating between an Advantage Calcium and a Reef builder that raises carbonate alkalinity. Is it correct to conclude that I should back off on the calcium and keep doing the reef builder?

Yes, you should raise up the Alk quite a bit, and leave the Ca it will go down in time. Look at the MG as well, that will help to maintain the levels. Besta luck and happy reeffing.

My 02

What salt brand are you using? Each salt brand has some pro's and con's and some tend to be a bit high in some things and low in others. Oceanic as an example is very high in calcium and magnesium but tends to be chronically low in alkalinity. Those who use Oceanic need to supplement alkalinity (baking soda works fine) to obtain a more "ideal" chemistry balance.

My 02

What salt brand are you using? Each salt brand has some pro's and con's and some tend to be a bit high in some things and low in others. Oceanic as an example is very high in calcium and magnesium but tends to be chronically low in alkalinity. Those who use Oceanic need to supplement alkalinity (baking soda works fine) to obtain a more "ideal" chemistry balance.

so mixing oceanic with IO would be ideal as IO has low calc/mg & high alk :)

In order to balance that out with the standard 20 to 1 ratio you would have to raise your alk to over 19 dkh. Its going to be much easier to bring it into a reasonable balance with waterchanges.

Don

Back