high calcium

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

malmom

How do you decrease calcium. Mine is very high. I'm not sure how this happened...please help.....

Pretty rare to have this problem without adding boosters, even if Calx or Kalk reactor is on overload.
What makes you think it is too high?
Add any suppliment?
Brand of salt?
What brand and age is test kit?
Perhaps it is an error in testing.

I just purchased a new test set so it is not bad. I used instant ocean. I just did a test and it wasn't even on the guide. My other test are a little high too. I did do a water change last week about 20%. I have not used any additives beside the plankton for the corals and trace minerals. A few of my corals are not looking very good my toadstool is sucked in and the others look like they are dying they are turning brown at the base.

Mix up some fresh IO and do a test on it. It is usually low on calcium. What brand of test kit? Never assume a kit is good just because its new. Many are inaccurate.

What is the salinity, use a refractomoter or a float box type?

My testing kit is API. I did the fresh IO calcium and it was only 340. What does to much calcium do....How do you suggest I lower it?????

OK, if the IO was not too high in calcium and you didn't add any suppliment to your tank, than your tank can not have too much calcium. No reason to lower it artificially, it only makes things worse. If you feel that the calcium being high is some kind of problem, just do another partial water change with the IO which has confirmed to not be too high in CA.

In my opinion, the calcium in your tank isn't a problem unless perhaps your Mg is low :>) (don't start worrying about specific chem balances at this point)

What all you have in your tank? Any algae growth?

What's you Alkalinity at?

Back