Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Myteemouse

NOTHING
got some new acros today.(2) and found a few hitchhikers
ACRO CRABS
oct12010016.jpg

oct12010018.jpg

Hard to get a good shot of these little guys each acro has one on it..

from what I know they are very good protectors of the acro.. they will fend of starfish and anything else that trys to attack the coral

The Trapezia Pocillopora/Acropora Crab, or Acro Crab for short, is a small commensal crustacean which lives its whole life within the branches of Pocillopora corals and Acropora Corals if no Pocilloporid corals are available, aiding in the proper water flow between the branches to keep these areas clean. In a symbiotic relationship with its host coral, the Trapezia Pocillopora/Acropora Crab is thought to feed on particulates trapped by the coral polyps, fallen detritus, and the coral's secreted mucus. In turn, the crabs guard the coral from invaders and fend off predators.

The importance of the Trapezia Pocillopora/Acropora Crab's role within a larger reef ecosystem is just now being recognized. Previously considered by hobbyists to be a coral "pest," the Trapezia Pocillopora/Acropora Crab may actually improve your success with SPS husbandry. Since the crabs constantly clean and defend their hosts, corals hosting Trapezia sp. have higher survival rates and stronger growth.

In the home aquarium, they may eat excess meaty food particles that lands on the coral, but won't need to be provided a staple diet. As an obligatory commensal coral crab, though, they will require a host SPS coral for survival.

Hello,
They are also known as Bandit crabs due to the black band over their eyes. They are cool but are sensitive to dips, Interceptor, and other medications. There can be multiple crabs sharing the same coral. Sometimes they switch colonies for no apparent reason usually at night.

Regards,
Kevin

That is awesome Adam! I love inverts and to get something rare like that as a hitchhiker is just too cool. Hopefully they avoid predators in your tank and stay with you for a while.

Wow lucky you! Sweet hitchhiker find! Those acro crabs are hard to come by.

Congrats and your pic skills are fab! All my stuff seems to come with unwanted extras...

I'm newish and don't have anything other than a few acro frags that I've had about 6 months and a few snails, but I think that we have had someone local in OH or MI selling acro crabs for $5-$15, something like that. I haven't been around long enough to know the scientific names to know if they are the same and I'm certainly not trying to knock your cool find, but if they are the same and somebody wants some, I can probably dig up the post, if they would ship okay.

Just checked that post and all it says are "acro crabs $5-$10", so I couldn't tell if they were the same.

Last edited:
NICE find Adam, I have had a handfull over the years but all eventually became a meal. I just recently lost a Milli-acro crab (Furry to match) probably to my Leopard Wrasse or Flame Hawk. Never could get a good pic of it though, so nice shot.

Todd

Hi,

It's Tetralia- or a "Coral Keeper Crab" and if you get a better shot of the coloration I can tell you which species- but the eyestripe and pale coloration gets it down to three species: T. cavimana, T. nigrolineata, and T. ocucaerulea.

As well as the difference in coral host families (Acroporidae vs. Pocilloporidae), Tetralia differ from Trapezia in that they have unequal chelae, and don't defend their host coral as readily. They do however, remove sediments, which has a beneficial effect on the corals. The best citation about this is Stewart et al. in Coral Reefs 2006 "Symbiotic crabs maintain coral health by clearing sediments."

One thing that aquarists could try to figure out for me: Tetralia have a groove running down the top of the major chela (claw). Noone has any idea what it is used for, but it is filled with fine setae and sometimes algae. I'd love to hear your observations with regards to this groove. The most closely related genus Tetraloides lacks this groove.

cheers,

coralcrab

Back