Hitchhiker ID?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

chadmace

Reef Tarded
So I have this rock in my sump that will eventually be a Zoanthid rock. I noticed a crab when I was buying it so I soaked it in fresh RO/DI water for about 2 hours and killed off 2 crabs. I noticed another crab while it was in my sump that survived the fresh water soak so I soaked the rock over night in fresh water. I just nuked an Aiptasia that survived but have also noticed this guy. Its pretty much burgandy in color. Sticks out of the rock and almost looks like a clam mantle in shape, etc. Does not look like a feather duster!! When move something around it it moves back into the rock. Any ideas? To nuke or not to nuke, that is the question.

whatami.jpg

cant tell from the pic, but from your description it is a harmless filter feeder. a mollusc or bivalve of some sort

next time you want you want to spend overnight trying to get smething out of your rock, instead of killing the majority if not all of the beneficial bacteria in your rock by soaking it in freshwater overnight, suspend it over a 5 gallon bucket of saltwater just slightly above the water...9 times out of ten whatever it is you want out will jump out into the water for you and you wont have killed the rock in the process

I'm not too worried about killing bacteria. It will all be reseeded in my system. After the crab debacle I had the first time around (and think I still may have one left) I'll go for the guarantee. Maybe next time I'll just do an interceptor dip as that should kill the crabs.

None the less no crabs, no aptasia which was what I'm shooting for. :)

Back