Hitchhiker Project

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ok, so the main criteria are: "in focus, clear, and obvious". Well how about 0/3?
This little (about 3cm across the carapace) guy must have come in as larvae or REALLY small, as I have had that batch of rock in that tank for 3 years and only saw for the first time last year and he was about the size of a dime.
When visible its got thick hairy legs (like an ex girlfriend:>) and is jet black with a slight blue tinge. No fish/invert losses so I assume its safe
So squint and let me know if you have any idea what that is.

You are welcome to use this photo of the parasitic pyramid snails. In this photo I took you can see clearly the 3 pyaramid snails feasting on one of my astreas. I of course removed the little boogers after taking the picture :)

61parisitic_pyramid_snails_2-med.JPG

Snails of unknown origin

Here are some snails the came with the rock. They are nocturnal ...don' know what they eat. Small...3mm to 1 cm. If you can tell me what they are I would like that very much.

Thanks Everyone!

Bigyank - you are too funny. At least I could make out it is a crab....it is a crab, isn't it? ;) I've never been a fan of hitchhiking crabs, especially ones with ex-girlfriend like hairy legs. I would keep an eye on him, or take him out and banish to the sump.

Woodstock - I forgot about that picture. I have a pic from Barry @ Clams Direct that I put in the gallery, but I may add your picture to the pest thread. It gives a good indication of size.

Steve - that shot is great. I will go ahead and get info together. Kyle - it is early, so the spelling may not be accurate, but I believe that is a Macarene snail. Good film algae eaters.

Here is a link to the project, so far. I've been really slow, I know, but I hope the research on each specimen is worth it. I want to be as accurate as possible, and if you happen to see something you find inaccurate, please send me a PM.

Common Hitchhikers

"Bigyank - you are too funny. At least I could make out it is a crab....it is a crab, isn't it? I've never been a fan of hitchhiking crabs, especially ones with ex-girlfriend like hairy legs. I would keep an eye on him, or take him out and banish to the sump. "

Thanks Nikki - the problem is he is an elusive little pecker and I can never catch him out and about. I guess I could trap him. He shows his face a bit when I feed the tank with frozen or live food, but doesnt bother with the flake or any other dried. No losses on fish though for 2 years so I assume he is either harmless or a total wuss.

Apart from him I have only ever had one other hitcher and that was our friend (que scary music build up)......... El Mantis Shrimpo. He tasted good on a skewer with some lemon and garlic butter. He munched 4 chromis before I knew what was happening and only figured it out after a late night vigil with a flashlight, red celophane and a bemused wife.

NB _ If i ever saw one of those Pycnogonid thingies, I think i would scream, drop my wine glass and stand on a chair biting my fist. Or are they small? We should have a scale on those pictures - I imagine that thing crawling out of the tank and devouring my cats. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! (girly stylee)
:eek:

There's a scutus in my member gallery too, if you want or need another shot. I'll try to get some more of him one of these days, now that I've got a tripod :)

Heidi

Deadrose's Scutus, is a better shot than mine. It shows the wavy side skirts better, it just didn't have the center part open to show the white inside. In normal light its almost pearly. Pretty cool critter.

These little buggers are Zoo eating Nudi's! This one is a large one at about 8mm in length. They can definately do some damage. If you have these make sure that you use a eye dropper, or baster to remove them. I have heard of someone squishing one against the glass and ending up in the hospital for it.

On the pyramid snails! Wow I never knew what all those tiny snails on my astreas were before, holy crap!

wrightme43 said:
I caught and removed him to collection cup. As per your request. Here are photos.

Just happened to find one of those in one of my refugiums this week, it's a little bit larger than a quarter. Glad to know what it is.

Hitch hiker snail

Here is a snail I found last night...looked like a conch snail at first but the head and foot are orange and the shell is dark brown with some pattern. The mouth comes out the valuted end..which looks like a conch snail. I looked it up in the book of Marine Atlas and the closest family it the whelk..Fsciolariidae..but this snail seems nocturnal.

Nikki,
What about those lovely Asterina anomala stars? ;)

dsc00232.jpg

dsc00242.jpg

dsc00162.jpg

Last edited:
Albert - Welcome to Reef Frontiers!

Thank you, for sure the 3rd will go into the gallery, along with the spirorbid polychaetes. Your photography skills are awesome!

Steve - I tried to swap out the scutus picture, but I'm having some difficulty, hopefully I'll get it figured out.

Thanks again, everyone! It takes me some time to put together the descriptions, so I'm a tad slow, but I want it to be as accurate as possible. I have about 6 or so I'm working on - all your participation is greatly appreciated!

Hi Nikki, Here's some for you (left to right);
sponges and tunicates
different sponge and foram
another different sponge
black tunicate
I forget what these are, but if you say it, I'll recognize it (it's not a tunicate) on the acro right of center. Their mouths open and close. Sort of like a barnacle or something.

Last edited:
Nikki

Here are a couple of mine-hope the pics are OK

clams, started with one now two
this second one I don't know what it is but it climbs on the rock and the glass

Last edited:
Back