Hitchhiker question...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

boosted306

Well I bought 2.5 pounds of LR for my pico today and got it home to unwrap and find a small octopus. This guy is barely larger than a copepod. I can't get it out to take a picture so what should I do? Let the little guy live or hunt him down?

if its an octopus then he most likely wont survive very long sorry there very hard to keep in the aquarium society not saying that some people can keep them but if its an octo then it prop wont last and i would say pull him out dont want to damage ur tank any if it does die. just imo

I'd try to feed him and keep him alive. If he survives and grows he might pose a problem to other tank inmates or try to escape but that's a bridge you can cross when you get to it. I love octos ( especially the giant ones in the sound)

Definitely worth the effort to try and keep it alive. The better the challenge the more you gain from it. Either way you can share what you learn from the experience.

Well here is an UPDATE: He is eating large copepods. I saw it grab one off of a rock last night. The copepod wasn't very much smaller than this thing is. As I see him I am going to try and take a picture with the hi-res camera.

now im not sayng that octo are bad ive alwanted one myself cause im up for the challenege. For i have a featherstarfish that they said wouldnt last and its been over a month now and hes still doing fine. Just its a smal tank that you have it in which u said was a pico which is usually a 3 to 5 gal tank and if i remember you have a clown in there. I just dont want to see that clown or any other fish/ invertebrae become a meal. But by all means a challenge is always nice and octos are awsome creatures just read up on them and hopefully it will live :) good luck

I have several tanks. This guy is the size of a pen cap. I can't seem to find it. I was actually going to take it out and take it to someone that is in the hobby just because of octopuses but I can't find it. The tank is sealed very well. Not saying that this guy can't get out but it would be extremely difficult. I am going to keep the look out because I know they can squeeze through tiny cracks. He hiked onto a rock so I am sure he is in there somewhere. And for the clown, he ended up not eating and died. Which I hate to lose a fish but I was okay with that because he was sick when I brought him home. I will keep everyone updated. I have my Nikon D40 sitting next to the tank just incase I put and eye on him. I will see if I can get a picture to come out.

Back