Hitchhikers on my Zoanthids

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Blackhart

I got some Zoanthids a few weeks ago and today I noticed something on them. I think they are nudibranchs. Are they harmful and how do I get rid of them.

Get rid of them now. I would freshwater dip your zoo's. I am battling the same things right now and they are slowly killing off my zoo's. It does look like a polyp eating nudi to me. The really cool (sarcasm) thing about them is what ever they are eating on they change colors to match. Good luck. I have been battling these for about 2 weeks

The chance that you have zoanthid eating nudibranchs are pretty high.
How are the zoanthids doing?

I Lugol's dip all of my zoas when I get them. There are too many crazy things that come with them!

I just pulled one off of my zoo's, thought I would share what mine looked like:

P6120013.jpg

P6120010.jpg

As much as it sucked to find this, it is a pretty sweet adaptation.

Justin

Lugols in saltwater will not kill the nudibranchs, you need to do a freshwater dip with the Lugols.

I had a different experience. I performed dips with SW + iodine dip and it worked very well to kill these nudis. I did 3-4 dips over 2 weeks, also examining the colonies for the curly-shaped egg masses. Those need to be picked off with tweezers. It's also important to swish the colony around vigorously to get the nudis to come off. But I always had dead nudis in the bottom of my bucket after using the Seachem iodine dip...I think it's pretty much the same thing as Lugol's.

Could be alot of reasons. Maybe the green ones didn't have any on them to begin with?
Just don't see them?

I had a different experience. I performed dips with SW + iodine dip and it worked very well to kill these nudis. I did 3-4 dips over 2 weeks, also examining the colonies for the curly-shaped egg masses. Those need to be picked off with tweezers. It's also important to swish the colony around vigorously to get the nudis to come off. But I always had dead nudis in the bottom of my bucket after using the Seachem iodine dip...I think it's pretty much the same thing as Lugol's.

It's good that it worked for you.:) Maybe it was the 3-4 dips that did it.
The freshwater dip is more stressful, but with the many zoanthid keepers I know, the proven method has been with freshwater.
Also people say using Flat Worm Exit in the dip helps.

I just did a freshwater did and then inspected the zoa afterward and did not see any eggs. there were only 3 nudi's in the bottom. hopefully that works.

It's good that it worked for you.:) Maybe it was the 3-4 dips that did it.
The freshwater dip is more stressful, but with the many zoanthid keepers I know, the proven method has been with freshwater.
Also people say using Flat Worm Exit in the dip helps.

Jan, that didn't seem to come out right.:oops:

I meant to say, that it's good that your procedure works. There's more than one way to kill the nudi's
Most of the people I talk to on other boards are still using a more stressful freshwater dip that seems to work.
But like you said, you do have to pick the eggs off manually.

I'm just glad the SW version did work because let me tell you, even looking at photos of those little buggers gives me the heebie-jeebies! brrrhhwhrrrr!

I have tried FW Exit, Lugol's, and TMPCC on them to no avail. I could not believe they were completly unaffected by the TMPCC especially since I have seen it kill flat worms in seconds.

The only thing that has worked for me so far, is an extended fresh water dip, QT, and more dips every couple of days. Once they get into your display, it's about impossible to get rid of them (well of course, until all the zoas are gone).

Back