HLLE Head and Lateral Line Erosion

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Alrighty, so I'm armed to the teeth with information and foods. I have red algae, brown algae dried sheets, and I picked up the mirrical elixer of garlic juice. (This might be a hoax but I figure lets try it any ways) So rather than the every other day of adding the algae sheets I'm going to be doing it daily and I'll be wiping each piece with some of the special garlic sauce.

Also, in my clip I've been clipping both the broccoli and the algae in it. So as always, and thank goodness for her, my Yellow Tang has convinced my princess (Hippo Tang) to try some broccoli. It took them three days but all of the little heads of the broccoli were bitten off. I also saw the hippo doing some of the eating too! So hopefully I'll attack this HLLE from all angles and at least one of them will work.

Thanks Mike for the links. I have to say I'm glad my hippo doesn't have so advanced of a case of this HLLE as some of the fish in the photos. Hopefully this will mean recovery will be a bit quicker.

So weigh in on this young lady:

tank4feb07018.jpg

I've been worried about it lately as a result of some Internet Induced Paranoia. There are no holes, just the 4 or 5 marks around her eye.

Scott

That is definitely the onset of MHLLE. It is still in the early stages and could clear up with the right care. As it progresses you will see the faded blotches become black and pitted. Keep in mind that food/nutrition alone is not the only concern. A proper environment large/clean enough for it to swim unhindered, not harassed by tank mates and free of ongoing stress are just as important. It's not just one but all that need attention in most cases.

Thanks for the reply. I believe that her diet has been short on Nori. I have increased the greens and have noticed an improvement. I have yet to try broccoli or carrots and am making a plan for vitamins.

I will keep a close eye on this.

Scott

BTW she is in a 210 (72x24x29) with a Purple and Mimic.

Yikes this disease sounds terrible!

Just to be clear,
the signs of MHLLE in drofwaves photo are the darker splotches below/behind the eyes...
(and not the small spots along the snout/forehead, which are "normal" for hippos, I hope!)

The large splotches are the dead give away yes but the pits located in the front area of the fish are enlarged and would be the first indicator that a more serious problem (the splotches) are not too far away. The presence of the pits are normal, the size is not.

Back