HOB fuge ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dudeman

Banned
im building an HOB fuge for my 35g hexagon tank, and i want to wrap the fuge around 2 of the 6 panels. would this restrict the flow? also im planning on make it 12in up and down x24in wide x3in front to back, the bend in the middle of the 24. would this be enough space for a skimmer, the fuge with some sand and some cheato, and the return? thanks

Very interesting design. You might have to use a larger pump, because of the corners, but with 3" width, I wouldn't think the corners would restrict flow that much. As for fitting a skimmer, I guess it'd depend on what type of skimmer. A Remora would fit. Other HOB skimmers, I just don't know how much room they'd need. You might figure out what type of skimmer you plan to use and then see if 3" is enough room for it.

Ya better take lots of pics to post, of this project!!!

With it being 3 x12 the bends will not restrict the flow at all.

The hard part will be lighting it if you want it on a different light schedule than the main tank.

Kim

you could get some 12V halagon bulbs to that are 6500K to grow algae... I might have some somewhere. the annoying part will be sourcing a transformer...

im not really sure what im going to do for lighting it yet, i havent started the actual build yet, ive just been making measuring and designing it for now. i just finished setting the tank up yesterday, so i hope to have it done but next week. and yes i will take lots of pictures!

With it only 3" i would pass on the sand as its not going to be enough to help with nitrate reduction + the chaeto will be plenty enough.

oh got ya, so what exactly is the point of a fuge? i started drawing out all my pieces last night, and i went with 4 inches wide instead of 3. its looking pretty cool already

The primary reason and meaning of a refugium is a "safe" place for pods and other critters to live and multiply, without worry of predation, by fish. "Refuge." The secondary use of a refugium is a place to grow macro algae, which will absorb nitrates. A 3rd use of a fuge is a place to hide certain equipment, such as heaters, ATOs etc.

ok, one more question. im planning on putting my skimmer in the fuge, but im not sure what kind of skimmer im going to buy and i wont know until friday when i get money. how should i design the baffles to accomadate a skimmer?

That could be tough to do without knowing the size and water depth requirements of your skimmer. Are you going with a HOB skimmer that will hang on your fuge or an "in tank" skimmer that will sit inside your fuge? If a HOB, size and water depth requirements won't be as critical.

i dont want to have a hang on skimmer, i want to do an in tank that will fit inside my fuge. its for my 35 gallon tank. the area available is 4 inchesX12 tallX10 wide. do you know of a skimmer that will fit inside this?

Back