hole developing in bottome of clam

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kylem

A piece of the Reef!
My Ultra Crocea is developing a hole in the bottom side of the soft tissue.
I had a cleaner wrasse harrassing the clam for along time till I finally caught the little...beep. Well any way the clam started to open up again and looked very healthy. the clam would not attach anymore. Now it has developed a hole. Is there any cure or is he on the way out?

Hi Kyle,

If you are referring the the byssal (footing) and if the damage doesn't cause an infection, then it should be fine. If you have the clam placed in the substrate, I would recommend placing a small flat rock under it to help protect the byssal and help it attach.

clam

The footing part seems intact but it hasn't tried to re-attach for quite some time now. I found a flat place on a rock and it seems to like it there now. Before that it would try to move and fall down. The part of the clam between the foot and the mantel where it intakes water for filtering is split open now...not just a little. Must be at least 1 to 1.5 inches long now. This does not seem normal to me. My brother recently noticed one in his tank and it just died the other day. I have two 20k 250W lamps with sunlight Flourencet T5 tubes (for white light color) for lighting and is placed about midway in the tank. Last month I had a Nitrate Spike from water flow problem. Do you think this might have something to do with it?

Kyle - any chance of posting a pic? I'm trying to learn as much as I can about clam issues.

Back