home brewed overflow

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

immedicatdru2

I finally got my camera to cooperate with me and take pictures of my overflow. Unfortunately I couldnt get them taken until it was in use on the tank. Next comes the new sump; provided I can find some decent plans. Right now I'm running coarse filter then carbon and return. All my levels are stable, though. Tell me what you think about it. It's made of 1/4 Lucite. I will use the same on my sump. Thanks guys, these forums have really helped alot.

Steven

Steven - I think the overflow looks great. Let me post the pics for you here:

oflo2.jpg

oflo3.jpg

oflo_1.jpg

Does it work well when the power goes out? I don't have experience with hang on overflow boxes. After the water gets drained down, does the siphon start again once the power is back on?

Do you think you'll make the sump larger? Do you want to put any additional equipment down there? I recently had IAP make a new sump for me. I have a "settling" area for detritus to collect, and makes siphoning it up real easy during a water change. here's a pic of my new sump:

sumpnewiap.jpg

I love your skimmer. I wish I had a Euro Reef.

Do you get lots of noise from your overflow standpipe?

I have an overflow that is almost identical though I couldn’t stand the slurping sound of the standpipe so I pulled of the filter and popped on a Durso. It made it dead silent. I even added a second U tube (made of PVC).

Thank you, all I used was 1/4" Lucite, Weld-on 16, a square and a table saw. I think I have everything I need to make whatever I want (tool-wise) it's just the money for the materials that I'm lacking. Next on the project list is a refugium. I will post pics when I'm done with it.

Back