Home Made Fish Food

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

leebca

Scooterman starts this one off with:
One thing I may of missed & this may of been posted elsewhere & I missed it, it exactly how do you make a blended food for fish that are omni & carnivores, what is your procedure in making it & what ingredients that you use, so I can go to the store get what I need & improve on what I'm already feeding. This may be off subject but it does pertain to nourishment so either way It may be helpful, again If I missed this somewhere, sorry I'll dig a little deeper! BTW I saw what they require on your other post but now how we make it??
There are many ways to accommodate carnivores with an omnivore population. Remember, the target is three feedings a day, minimum. This isn't difficult when you consider algae on a clip as one feeding, the home made food one feeding, and the third a prepared food. Actually a fourth, which most fish will like once a week is a fresh opened clam (open a living clam without heat; rinse in RO/DI; freeze solid 48 hours; thaw; rinse again; drop in aquarium).

A clam-feeding like described above can satisfy many of the carnivores. Also, putting in some krill (if the carnivores are large enough) or plankton (for smaller carnivores) will get whole meaty foods to them (as some of the omnivores will steal this food, too).

So, the home made food is not 'stand alone.' It still follows the rule to mix and alter foods often.

You ask what to put in it. Much of that depends upon the fishes being fed. From the photos and listing of my tanks (http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/html.php?file=../motm/may_2007/may_2007_leebca.htm) you can see I have quite a mix. In the Butterflyfish category, I have omnivores and carnivores. In the 300 I have a Harlequin Tusk, who wants meaty meats (whole seafoods). Though oddly, the Tusk will grab a piece of algae off the clip, dash to the other end of the tank and spit it out. It seems it just can't stand to see the eating frenzy of the Tangs without taking some of their food. If the Tusk is chased by a Tang (because the Tusk got the last bit of algae), the Tusk will swallow it (out of spite, I think). But I digress. . .

I've not posted what I put into my home made foods simply because it is never the same twice! In over 35 years of making my own foods, they are never the same twice. That's part of the variation!

I'd be happy to review anyone's planed recipe if they tell me the fishes and the size of the fishes they intend to feed. I will make suggestions if someone presents their formula.

Here are some definite things NOT TO INCLUDE in the home made foods:
Marine fish - I know it seems like a good idea, but it is just too oily. It will ruin any attempts to bind the product, and binding the product is necessary, IMHO.
Oily seafoods - see above.
Processed foods - Shouldn't need to say it but. . .Don't use any cooked, marinated, treated, preserved, or foods with additives unless you know and approve of what is being added. Raw only.
No land products - The usual warning -- marine fish don't walk on land, ergo they don't eat land products (beef heart, red worms, corn, wheat or wheat products, sugar, etc.). A bit of broccoli flowers properly prepared, is about as far as I'd go with land products.
No freshwater products - A marine fish does not eat freshwater foods. No prepared food is suitable for BOTH the marine and freshwater fish. It has to be either one or the other. Their proteins are different, their fats differ somewhat, their vitamin sources differ, and each requires a different ratio of ingredients than the other. So, no blood worms, red worms, Daphna, freshwater mysis, etc.
No excess fiber - fish do not need nor want fiber in their diet. The exception to this are the large adult Tangs that almost eat algae exclusively. Even though their diet is high (relative to other fishes) in fiber, their digestive system is set up for this.
No ash - Why would anyone put worthless stuff in fish food?
No bad seafood parts - No squid beaks, squid ink sacs, squid cartilage. No clam shells, excess exoskeletons (e.g., shrimp tail 'shell'), bones, nor scales.

To put in are the raw foods listed in my long post on fish nutrition: http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=294728#post294728 This gives you more than enough ideas and suggestions on what to put into the formula.

After the above don't, you want whole foods that come from the sea. Some include whole krill, plankton, scallop, squid, shrimp, clam, etc. together with veggies such as the best one: Spirulina, or powdered kelp or the above mentioned broccoli flowers, or any combo. Add fats and vitamins (this can be mixed up too) and any other supplements that seem like a good idea. If it is raw and it comes from the sea, it's probably a good idea.

The one and only binder is Agar Agar. It is made from Kelp. What a wonderful thing to have available to the marine aquarist. The binder and the entire formula can be totally from the sea.

The amount of binder is very much dependent upon the food mix. If the mix is too fatty, or if there is a lot of whole Krill or whole shrimp, the Agar Agar will not bind well. More Agar Agar can overcome this, up to a point. The latter group (Krill and whole shrimp) is because the heads of shrimp contain an enzyme which attacks the Agar Agar chemically and inhibits its ability to solidify.

You've gotten information from me (above) that is the culmination of decades of experience, experimentation, and knowledge. All in a neat starter package.

So if you have a recipe you want to try out, post it and let's review it! :D Remember to list the fishes and the size of the fishes you want to feed. Size makes a difference as to what the fish eats and needs.

If you have any specific question(s) just post 'em.

:)

the home made food one feeding, and the third a prepared food

I can't quite understand the difference between these two, thought If I made a good home made food, I wouldn't necessary need prepared as in store bought?

Thanks for the thread, It may be a good place to see what people are doing & how to get better at doing it myself.

There are just some things that aquarists won't be able to put into their home made foods. If they can, then all the better.

Prepared foods will contain some things the aquarist won't easily find at the store (unless your backyard is the coral reef). 'Things' like salmon which doesn't do well in the home made recipe. Remember I wrote that fish interferes with the binding process, not that it isn't a good choice. In fact, one of the best 'whole fish' is dried anchovies. Japanese and other Orientals will eat them. The challenge is finding those that aren't flavored or contain additives or preservatives.

Prepared foods sometimes include marine sponges (particularly in good Angel formulas), Urchin, polyps, and other seafoods not easily found in the grocery store. There are a few omnivore foods (though they are labeled as food for herbivores) that contain some marine algae not readily found, too. Sometimes the aquarist has to take the good with the bad. Often these prepared foods include poor nutrient supplements (vitamins are not balanced or not complete), or mysterious ingredients like 'marine fish meal.' But this adds to the variety for the fish diet.

I feed pellets once every two weeks to my fish (that's one out of 70 feedings). I do the same with flakes. But that's about the frequency of those foods I'd offer.

Then with the home made not being the only food, the aquarist can still put in a meal of krill, or plankton or chopped clam now and then rather than only offering the blend.

To this very day, there is one fish that won't touch my home made food. So a home made recipe doesn't always suit all fishes, all the time.:(

It isn't inconceivable nor wrong to feed marine fish the home made food for two of its four or five daily feedings. I'd still like to mix it up.

Let's hope to see some recipes! :)

Well I cleaned out the foods I had that were using wheat, peas, lettuce, soy & several land materials.
I found this at the LFS that was the only one that didn't have land stuff for the most part.
Mega-marine
ocean plankton, krill, shrimp, sea urchin, sea worms, clam, mussel, squid, sea algae, spirulina, cod-liver oil& alga extract.
B12, D3, E, beta carotene

There are a few sites where people have listed there food recipe(s) and ingredients. Here are some suggested ingredients to home made recipes: Mel's Recipe.

There are some downsides to the above suggested ingredients. If you've read my recommendations in Fish Health Through Proper Nutrition you can probably spot some of them. On the other hand, there are some very good ideas as to what to include.

Has anyone tried this kind of approach?

I'm adding a post to this thread to answer a question about 'gel' foods.

I can't being to express how lucky we are. The best known component that will bind things into a gelatin comes from the sea. When this gelatin is used to bind fish food, the binder becomes food, too! This amazes me. Anyway. . .

For home preparations you want to find a gelatin like agar agar or, agar. It is the foundation of gelatin desserts. It is made from sea kelp. Read the label of anything you plan on buying BEFORE you buy it. See what is in the product. You want the product with no or little other ingredients, or with ingredients that won't harm the fish.

Most home made formulas should need about 5% by weight of agar. If the food is high in fats or contains shrimp heads, the percentage will need to be higher. The reason for this is that shrimp heads (krill heads) contain an enzyme which interferes with the binding properties of agar. Similarly, excess fat in the formula will also prevent proper gelling of the food. To overcome this, the quantity of agar has to be increased.

To properly gel the food, it must be heated with the agar. You don't want to cook or over heat, so use the minimum temperature that dissolves/liquefies the agar. You can easily test if you've added enough agar by doing the following:

Put a quarter teaspoon full of the warm food on a paper plate. Spread it to less than about 1/8 inch thick. Put it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. Take it out. If it is frozen (usually not if you watch the clock), wait until it thaws. It should be 'rubbery' when you try to cut it.

Mega-marine
ocean plankton, krill, shrimp, sea urchin, sea worms, clam, mussel, squid, sea algae, spirulina, cod-liver oil& alga extract.
B12, D3, E, beta carotene

Has anyone ever found this Mega-marine product in a greater-Seattle LFS?

(open a living clam without heat; rinse in RO/DI; freeze solid 48 hours; thaw; rinse again; drop in aquarium).

I have found that it is easier to open the clam after freezing/thawing (when you thaw the clam the shell opens up very easily). Is there any reason to open and rinse before freezing? I also buy fresh live oysters and freeze them, thaw, remove the shell, rinse and then use in my blender mix. Is there any problems that could occur doing it in this manner?

No. Just be sure the clam was alive when you froze it.

When I buy 'living clams' I find one out of about 7 to be dead. I can tell this by trying to open them when they are fresh. A dead clam may open slightly, but not shut. Also, inside the dead clam, the meat may have dried out some.

Deb,

Freezing all foods that come out of the sea is one way to cleanse/kill off any higher forms of pathogens. In Kris' case, this also helps to open the clam.

Serving fresh, living clams to any marine fish has the small risk of bringing disease into the aquarium. However, if there is a freeze-thaw done, the risk is much further reduced. Alternatively, the living seafood (like hermit crabs) can be quarantined to eliminate fish obligate pathogens (e.g., Marine Ich).

hello, does this food mix sound adequate?

every time i make a batch i put these ingredients in... (about every three months or so..)

15 cubes formula one, (red kind)
5 cubes mysis (frozen)
teaspoon garlic (organic)
one frozen shimp (fresh from supermarket)
tablespoon freeze dried plankton
and a sheet of red marine algae (dried)

and then grind it all up in this little blender i have and keep it all frozen... i have a bunch of fire and cleaner shrimp, sand snails, percs, copperband,and a dragonet. plus aptaisa of course. does this sound like an adequate diet? what should i add/subtract?

Thanks for posting your recipe. It benefits everyone to get a chance to learn more about home made foods.

Some things I need to ask.

1. You've made this before. Does it hold together when you put it into the aquarium?

2. By frozen shrimp do you mean whole shrimp? Tail and head and exoskeleton? Is it a freshwater or saltwater 'shrimp?'

3. The mix has merit because you've combined meaty foods, whole foods, and veggies. The Anemonefish need veggies. But a better way to determine if it is enough veggies is to get an idea of weight. When you make up a batch like this, how much does it weigh?

4. Is the freeze dried plankton labeled that is can be fed to freshwater fishes or only saltwater fishes? :)

I think overall this is a good start. What I would add is more veggies since I sense it is short on veggies when you compare the weight of what is being put into the mix. It is likely mostly water (of course), but you want to get as much ingredients as you can to increase the nutrients level and lessen the impact/quantity of water.

The shrimp is a good idea. It should be fresh when you buy it and only the tail and only a saltwater shrimp. It will add protein, flavor and smell to the food. You can vary the mix by substituting a sea scallop for the tail; or squid body for the tail, now and then.

If the mix holds together, you may wish to try adding some (about 0.25 oz if it will go in) Spirulina powder. This is mentioned earlier on in this thread. It increases the protein content, the carbohydrate content, and provides many other nutrients.

Preparation may be important for ingredients that are frozen and packed with water. Do you drain and rinse the mysis? All frozen foods need to be whole and not exploded or broken up by the freezing process.

Lastly, try a teaspoon of a vitamin mix for saltwater fishes that is made from sea products. Then, on the next batch, substitute a teaspoon of a HUFA product (fatty acid or lipid or fat for saltwater fishes).

Would be interested in opinions about the food mix that I make up. I'm relatively new to the marine aquarium world, but have been working with other animals for years and knew immediately when I read the labels of some of the fish foods in the stores that there were ingredients in the flake/pellet foods that I would not feed my fish. I have a small number of fish (royal gramma, ocellaris clown, chromis, four stripe damsel in one tank; foxface rabbitfish and niger trigger in another) so I make small batches:

3 cubes Formula One frozen
3 cubes frozen mysis
3 cubes Spirulina loaded brine
2 cubes squid
1 cube copepods

Allow to thaw overnight, then mash and add Selcon, Vita-Chem, Cyclopeeze, Garlic, Phytoplankton. I keep this in the refrigerator until used up. For the rabbitfish, I use Formula Two frozen and skip the mysis, squid, and copepod cubes.

I think that the answer I've been looking for is the binder because it all seems to float away and the fish just get bits and pieces. Any suggestions for additions or deletions would be great!!

Thanks for posting.

Since you are making your own food, you want to control the nutritional content and thus use ingredients that are fine nutritional sources for marine fishes. Also, since you are making your own food, no sense in adding prepared foods. If that is all you will be using, just use each separately.

Mysis is okay, but since it is easily fed separately, I would not add it to a mix. And then, only be sure to be using mysis from saltwater (not freshwater mysis).

Brine shrimp has very little nutrition. Since some of it is okay, keep it for a separate feeding (like the Mysis mentioned above) only once every 21 feedings.

Since you've chosen a brine shrimp with spirulina, just buy some spirulina to add directly to your mix.

Use saltwater shrimp (human food) tails as the primary protein (or about 40% of the total volume). Remove shells and clean in distilled water.

Make up the balance of the above using fresh clean squid, clam (whole from the shell), krill, etc.

Blend to liquefy and use agar agar (Jell-O ingredient) to stiffen the blend so you can make it into little pieces that fit into the fish's mouth.

:)

Back