Homemade Fish Food.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fijiwigi

I am sure many of you experts make your own fish food to avoid phospates and such. I have been wanting to do so. But before I do I thought maybe if you all share with me your recipe's to homemade blended fish food It could help me decide what to include in my mix. Still a little fuzzy on what vitamins to add to the mush???

All foods will have phosphates in it. It does not matter if it is home made or store bought.

Now vitamins you can use some general baby vitamins or get some of the aquarium vitamin mixes. Me I don't usually use a vitamin mix, but I like to use selcon.

Kim

Bump for this topic!! I as well have been thinking about making my own food mix and would like to know out of you fellow reefers, what do you put in your mix, and do you freeze it into small cubes, and if so, how, what do you use?

When I make mine, I go to the sea food section of the grocery store and get some sea food medley. It has shrimp, clams, squid, scallops and possible other stuff in it. I also get some shrimp tails and anything else they have that looks interesting. Then I grab some peas and some nori to blend together. To this I normally ad some selcon. When I'm blending I blend it up very coarse and then remove half of the mix. Then blend the rest up pretty fine. I mix it all back together and freeze in plastic bags, spreading it out really thin in the freezer. Once it is frozen it is very easy to break off pieces to feed. Part if it will thaw into larger chunks with part getting really small for the corals.

Kim

So any fresh seafood will work? And I am still unclear on the vitamin part can you link me a place to purchase the vitamins, selcon and Zoe or is it something I can pick up locally and what does it accomplish exactly. Why peas and what exactly is Nori and is it available at the supermarket??

I use three fresh clams with the juice ,6 fresh prawns and blend in the food processor until semi small. Then I add six cubes of rinsed mysis shrimp as well as six cubes of thawed rotifiers and some cyclopeze to the mix. I fold in the last three ingredients to keep the mysis whole. . I use a rubber spatula and smear it into leftover blister packs from the mysis so I know how much im feeding. I feed nori in the morning and one cube (thawed in tank water) at night.

My tank has 10 fish and too many corals. Most of my corals grow like weeds and I feel its due to high nutrient content in the water after feeding. Feeding this way has kept algeas to a minimum and my snails starve because of it. I typically have less than ten snails in a 120.
Ive recently changed my feeding to another recipe and suddenly have three kinds of algea taking off in the display. Most likley due to lack of portion control.

Last edited:
The Jello Bean Method

Pick out an assortment of seafood, the more varied the better, the seafood medley is a great way to go for a starter, 1 or 2 of the components (mussels and clams I think) are cooked but that is no big deal, the squid, octopus, cuttlefish etc are raw, try for small whole fish of some sort(guts, bones, and all) for max nutrition, most fish markets have smelt in the freezer, and any thing else that looks interesting. Munch them up to the appropriate particle size, I prefer a food processor, you can use a blender if you do small batches and add enough liquid to get uniform particles, you don't want mush. Throw it all in a large wire mesh strainer and rinse throughly with tap water (you don't have to be anal and use RO, but if it makes you feel better go right ahead). The rinsing is key, there is plenty of vitamins and nutrition in the particles, the liquid will just add extra nitrates and phosphates, won't do your fish & inverts any good, most peoples will thaw and rinse frozen plankton etc to avoid this sort of thing, rinsing prior to freezing eliminates this step when you are ready to feed your critters. I don't bother with selcon on my glop because I think a lot of it goes into the water rather than your fishes guts, I do use Selcon but I put a few drops on the flake food I use, it soaks it up completely and I believe the fish get more and your tank is polluted less.. I don't use any veggies myself because I like to use nori separately, but that's just personal preference... I don't bother with vitamins, IMO not necessary with a varied diet, also the quality flake food ( I like Ocean Nutrition) I use has all the added vitamin stuff.

And now for the most important thing.....Get on eBay and do a search for Jell-O beans, use Jello without the dash also. You don't want the easter egg molds, look for the red Jell-O bean molds, there are usually 6 or 7 for sale, you can pick them up for less than $10.00 with shipping. Each mold has close to 100 individual jelly bean shaped molds, this works much better than the cocktail mini ice cube trays, a lot more convenient than busting up a flat sheet also, give more precise portion control to boot. Just spread the glop over the molds, freeze, pop them out and throw in a baggie and you are good to go.

[/FONT]

And now for the most important thing.....Get on eBay and do a search for Jell-O beans, use Jello without the dash also. You don't want the easter egg molds, look for the red Jell-O bean molds, there are usually 6 or 7 for sale, you can pick them up for less than $10.00 with shipping. Each mold has close to 100 individual jelly bean shaped molds, this works much better than the cocktail mini ice cube trays, a lot more convenient than busting up a flat sheet also, give more precise portion control to boot. Just spread the glop over the molds, freeze, pop them out and throw in a baggie and you are good to go.[/QUOTE]

nice one!

floresent Lighting

Aka egg crate,works if u want to end up with cubes.The covers you see over lighting.

Last edited:
Back