hooray! for failed plumbing

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

keithinspokane

WOW.i wish somebody could have been here to tape it.LOL.Now that its done and said.............So it starts like this.Just a bit ago(say 20 minutes) i was back by the ro/di filter setup and i noticed a little bit of water on the floor.......And it happened......I reached up to touch the hose coming off the house faucet and it just popped off.....OMG the water was so cold and it was open all the way.On top of that whoever built the house put the faucets upside down.On top of that its halfway behind the dryer.Thats with the water being freezing cold and on full blast.It was hard not to just step away......i was panicking.I got it closed about halfway and by that time the whole front of my body and clothes were soaked and still being sprayed with freezing water so i shuffle stepped,switched hands and opened back up all the way before i even realized it.Finally i got it together and was able to get the faucet turned off......AT first i was angry but then i had to deal with the water so it was off to clean it up i went.(took a few pics after i got the majority of the water dealt with.
DSC04900.jpg

Thats the hose clean out of its housing.
DSC04901.jpg

You can clearly see where it failed.
DSC04902.jpg

And thats where it once was,again can clearly see where it failed.

So now im not sure what to use,i used to have one that had metal inlet/outlet fittings but the hose itself was that skinny stuff,it ended up splitting in the night and woke us ect i replaced with this,basically the only thing i could find that isnt too long.I need it to come off the main faucet into a "Y" so it can go to the washer and my ro/di unit.But anyways thats enough from me just let it be a warning....check equipment and or plumbling periodically for flaws.

thanks for reading

It looks like your using a regular garden type hose. Some of those are not suitable food grade rating and can leach some chemicals into the water and I don’t thing they can handle full time use if that is how your using it. If you just need short runs like 4 to 6 feet you can buy replacement washer hoses that are stainless steel braded with brass and steel fittings that will not fail like that. They do have a rubber core and are flexible like the garden hose but you would probable have to call the manufacture to find out if they are suitable for consumable water. I have to say that is kinda funny and I had a similar thing happen to me with a dishwasher but with scudding hot water. Needless to say the end result was like your but if someone was watching it, it would probable be funny as all get out.

been a while and i see the thread is still here so i figure id update.i was able to just take the "y" splitter i had and screwed it on tight to the faucet,which i used teflon tape on to prevent leaks.this is what i should have done the last time but didnt think the fitting would clear the box....the same box as in oldsaints picture.i didnt realize the front (bezel) part of it snaps off.i was able to pop it off,get my y fitting on there nice and tight and then snap the bezel piece back on.

Back