Horrible PopEye

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

csababubbles

Lee,

My stripey has been fighting an infection for quite some time now. 4 Months ago he had a case of popeye, which I treated with Maracyn 2 for saltwater. I doubled the dose like you have recommended in the past. Treatment seemed to be successful.

Fast forward to two weeks ago. The pop-eye came back and the fish stopped eating. I removed him to 20 gallon QT to treat again with Maracyn 2. It did not work. I think he is even blind at this point based on his behavior. His appetite has returned but he only eats whatever he discovered on the bottom of the QT, he can no longer find food in the water column but at least his appetite has returned and he is eating.

I am doing 25% water change one day, then 50% the next, then 25%, then 50%, etc.

What should I do next? Should I try and treat again? With Maracyn 2 again? What dosage? Do you think the bacteria is resistant to it at this point? Does epsom salt have any effectiveness?

Thanks a million!

Not very promising. If the Maracyn treatment didn't work the second time, then a third is not likely to help much. Not knowing for sure the kind of bacteria, at this point in time I would suggest using two antibiotics at the same time, which will kill off most known bacteria. However, only one of them is knowing to do well on systemic infections.

Give me three hours or so for me to get to my main computer (I'm on an iPad right now) and get the names of those antibiotics for you. Make sure the foods that are going into the fish are laced with vitamin and fat supplements and even immune boosters. I'll post again, shortly.

Wish I had been writing this sooner. Was in a car crash. Car was totaled and I was just released from the hospital. I'm okay. Trying to get my life back together. Anyway. . .

The product Furan-2 contains a mix of antibiotics. One of them is particularly good for more or less stubborn infections. The other attacks both Gram Positive and Gram Negative bacteria and is a bit of shotgun approach. See if you have access to this. Just follow the directions that come with the medication.

One method is to inject the eye with CHLORIMPENICOL. Not something hobbyists usually do, but a vet would/could. This is a last resort effort and usually not performed on the common ornamental marine fish.

Hope our fish comes through.

I'm so sorry what happened. I hope your recovering well. Thanks so much for the fish advice, I really value you opinion. Hopefully he'll make it through. Happy Fathers Day!

OMG - I hope that you're ok!

Wish I had been writing this sooner. Was in a car crash. Car was totaled and I was just released from the hospital. I'm okay. Trying to get my life back together. Anyway. . .

The product Furan-2 contains a mix of antibiotics. One of them is particularly good for more or less stubborn infections. The other attacks both Gram Positive and Gram Negative bacteria and is a bit of shotgun approach. See if you have access to this. Just follow the directions that come with the medication.

One method is to inject the eye with CHLORIMPENICOL. Not something hobbyists usually do, but a vet would/could. This is a last resort effort and usually not performed on the common ornamental marine fish.

Hope our fish comes through.

It's cool. I was seriously shaken up. But I walked away from a totaled vehicle without broken bones, broken skin, or even a scratch. I did end up with an imprint of the safety belt across my body in black-and-blue. Bruised and sore in some areas that should work out shortly. :) Thanks for your concern.

How are you doing? Hope your feeling better...

Thought you may want to know the stripey finally passed away last night. It was finally too much for him. I've had him for a while too, acquired when he was tiny 1" baby into the 8" monster he grew up to be. Sad.

I did want to ask you, the tank he came from has a marine betta and four pajama cardinals. They never developed any symptoms so what do I have to do to make the tank safe for them and any new inhabitants in the future? Do I medicate the tank as there are no inverts?

Also I have a spare banner fish in a 300 that is fighting with another banner in the same tank. Can I move him into the 125 with the beta and pajamas in terms of space and combatability?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Sorry to hear of the loss. I'd say the fish had a good run of life though.

One might assume that the infection was from the opportunistic group of bacteria. An internal infection of the ocular area/nerve is usually not of the kind of bacteria that transfer from one fish to another. That is, the bacteria are usually always there waiting for an opportunity for infection. So, I wouldn't recommend you take any action with regards to the equipment/tank. I would be sure that the fishes are getting extra vitamins A and D in their diet, above and beyond the usual supplemental vitamins and fats.

Moving the fish in with the very passive fishes may be a problem, but having the passive ones there and already established will give them the best edge. Watch to see what happens and be prepared for the worst, which is most likely. You might consider doing the reverse -- put the picked on fish in with the passive fishes.

Feeling pretty much back to normal. Just hassling with the insurance company. :blah:

Back