Hose size for a overrflow to sump and the return?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Shane and John

father and son
..Hello everyone....getting ready to set up my sump..Its 30 gallons...what would be the best size tubing to use>?????..I will be running a Iwaki pump that is rated at 960 gallons per hr? i have two returns that can be run with either 3/4" or 1" tubing......any recomendations on size or brand??Thanks...Shane

Make the drains as large as you can, If you know how to glues hard PVC I'd plumb it with that over vinyl hose but you can get flex PVC or flex spa at your local hardware.

Make the drains as large as you can, If you know how to glues hard PVC I'd plumb it with that over vinyl hose but you can get flex PVC or flex spa at your local hardware.

I was told it was better to use ribbed hose for the overflow? Something about... oxygen. Better aeration or something...

(Edit: Sorry, I misread the whole topic. Ignore me. :oops: )

I was told it was better to use ribbed hose for the overflow? Something about... oxygen. Better aeration or something...

(Edit: Sorry, I misread the whole topic. Ignore me. :oops: )

NP, really the ribbed is flexible PVC & some use it, personal preference but not necessary, a skimmer would oxygenate a tank well enough alone, not to mention the air you get mixed when free falling into the sump.

For a sump return most are 1" suctions & 3/4" out unless your using a non pressure rated pump like a dart which would require larger plumbing but this pump really isn't designed for a sump return but great for tank flow which is also a possibility because of the lack of information or intention of the question.

Back