hosting clowns

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

drudown66

hey guys im new to the site here, and will introduce my self a little later, when i have some time to throw up some pics and stuff, but for now my name is dru lol but i just had a quick question. im getting back in to the hobby after a little time off due to moving and what not, i have a 75 gal tank and am going to do a little reef tank nothing crazy and would like to try and get a breed pair of clowns in there but dont want a anemone in the tank. dont want to deal with it stinging the other corals and i hate having to work around them when adding new pieces lol, but i was looking to see if anyone had any good advise on some corals they may host, thanks for any help

Hi Dru and welcome to Reef Frontiers!!

Clownfish will user many different corals, as a host. In one of our tanks, a pair of Percula are using a Frogspawn colony. In the past, I've had clownfish use Xenia, Bubble Coral, Hairy Mushrooms and Hammer Coral.

Heck, one of our LFS, and a great Sponsor, here on RF, Aquatic Dreams, has had a pair of clams using his GIANT T. Gigas Clam, as a host, for many years.
I've even seen clownfish use power heads and algae magnets.

thanks alot for all the help guys. nice to know there are some other options that i can do. i heard of the hosting different corals, but wasnt too sure what was my best bet to use, so thanks again for the help

I have a pair in my tank and I've seen them host in my frogspawn (hammer coral), halimeda algae, a field of green star polyps, and my anemone.

They seem to kind of move around a bit. Oh, the male also really likes one of my candy cane corals, but it is killing some of the polyps by rubbing against them so much. Not sure what exactly is going on there...

Hey Dru, welcome. In my experience, my clown hosted a torch coral, a hammer coral, and even a large trachyphyllia open brain coral before I finally got a RBTA. Seems like they will adjust to living in almost anything big and fluffy that isn't known for eating fish.

good deal, im now on the hunt for a nice size coral lol. ill let you guys know what i end up going and how it goes, wish me luck lol

Large Furry Mushroom will work. . . And are a bit cheaper.

You have to keep in min though, its completely the nature of the fish. They may not host in anything you want them to.

Mine hosted in a large moon snail shell from Canada. They would go all the way inside to sleep.

Back