How about this ID?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish

RF STAFF
I found 3 of these things in my tank. Not sure what they are, but if I blow my powerhead against it or move the rock, it pulls itself in. Any ideas what it may be? The one on the left is a little purple in color and the one in the back is white. Thanks in advance...

James, my pics suck, but I don't think it is the bubble algae. It has tentacle looking things that come out and when you get close to it, it pulls itself back in...almost flat. I've never heard of algae responding to movement or anything like that before...Thanks for the help though. I could still be wrong because I have no clue(LOL)

Thanks...I'll flip the rock tomorrow and wait for it to come back out and take another shot. Maybe that will help...

Ahh. Now that I look more closely, I can see te tenticles on the one on the right. Nope....Not bubble algae.. :)

I don't know what the heck that is!!

Hey Krish, it looks like to me that it may be a tunicate!

I wondered the same thing. My tank is loaded with tunicates now. They are even growing on my Seio powerheads and glass! These ones look a little different from the others though. I just flipped the rock over and I'm just waiting for it to come back out to snap the shot. Hopefully I'll get a good one this time...

i agree with Rusty that they are tunicates also know as sea squirts.

Chris

well krish they could be anythig so ill wait for the next pic and well maybe youll be able to identify it

Here is the next picture. This is the absolute best my camera will take. The bottom left one is pulled in all the way and the top right one is out as far as I've seen it go.

That's a shape of a tunicate, but different color than I've ever seen. The two "breath" holes are the indication of a tunicate.

Thanks "Rusty". When I turned the rock over today, I was able to get a really get a good look at it and it does look like my other tunicates, just more like twins(LOL). Thanks again everyone for the replies.

Hey Krish, I do not know if you know who this is. It's Rob from PA. This is my nickname on RF.

Hey Krish, I do not know if you know who this is. It's Rob from PA. This is my nickname on RF.

LMBO!!!!!!! I know the name sounded familiar, but I couldn't place it(LOL) How's it going? I hope you had a great Christmas!

I had a great Christmas, and yourself? I was wondering since you called me Rusty. LoL I did finally propose to Tina and she said "yes"!!!! I did not think there would have been a "no" answer anyway. I'm to good of a guy! LoL We are planning the wedding now and it looks like we are going to Atlantis in August!!! YEA!!! I will let you know more details later. Thanks Krish for doing that for me!

Back