How Copper in normal seawater?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sarmo

aka Rob
i tested for copper and found that i have 0.05mg/l of copper in my reef tank. :confused: i used a "fasTesT" test kit made by "Sea Test" the maker of "instant Ocean". i can't seem to find the normal level of copper in seawater, so i don't know if i have a problem or not. i do know that my tank is doing fine and my shrimp, crabs and other inverts are still alive.

does anybody know the amount of copper in normal seawater??

thanks for any help. :)

I dont know what the normal level is exactly. Let me ask you this. Do you use tap water? Have you checked your food for copper sulfate? How long has your tank been a reef, and where did you get your rock? Used rock from a set up tank, or fresh from the ocean? Also, how many times was this result from the test repeatable? If I get a wierd reading I usually do the test three times to make sure. I hope this helps you. Steve

Sorry this might be better

ELEMENT MOLECULAR WEIGHT PPM IN SEAWATER MOLAR CONCENTRATION
Copper 63.5 0.09 0.0000014

okay now i'm confused, the link duane gave me said copper was at 0.09 ppm or 90ppb in seawater and the links you gave me one said 0.255ppb and 18-38ppb. with these numbers i have either half as much copper as nml seawater or up to 200 times as much copper as nml seawater. who is right? NaH20, what do you consider a good consentration of copper for my aquaria????

yes, i use RO water and i have a skimmer. i have used several types of salt mixes over the years but now i'm using "oceanic".

do i have a problem or not? i did put a poly filter in today.

I think 1 mg/l = 1 ppm??? I'm really reaching on that......which would mean your copper concentration is 0.05 ppm or 50ppb. I do have a couple of issues....first, how accurate is your test kit, and does it test all forms of copper? I thought Randy's article said if it was bound then it isn't as toxic??? Also, does testing right after a feeding or water change make a difference?

I'll, of course, defer to those more chemistry inclined....and I'll see if Boomer can take a look at the thread.

you are right that 1mg/l = 1ppm. so you were right with your calculations. one thing i know for sure is that i have hundreds of hermits and they are doing fine.

Well, data can often confuse one :D First, there is NSW and then there is NSW. You need to look at the source. Where was the data taken from and by what method. What was the salinity, the depth, temperature, how far off shore. Any NSW sample could be called NSW but may are skewed way off from what you think, because of what I said above. When most of us talk in terms of NSW we mean the Std NSW, often found in chemical oceanographic books and on some oceanographic sites. Mg / l is not the exact same as PPM. Mg / l = ppm x density (no, not specific gravity the are not the same thing ). For us that would be a density of about 1.023, so 400 ppm Ca x 1.023 = 410 mg / l Ca but they are close enough for us so we say they are the same. The NSW Std is referred to as Copenhagen Seawater. You can actually buy this Std from labs and Copper is 8 x 10^-8 M / l x 63.546MW = .05 ppm =.051 mg / l or about 50 ppb.

Then there is the Cu ++ in ASW, another matter. Each salt type and even batch can have different readings. In the past, years ago, when tested, the range was from . 1 - .2 ppm Cu++. The new report by Timothy A. Hovanec, showed all salts to be ND (non-detectable, based on their equipment). However, Ronald L. Shimek in his test, just prior, showed it to still be present by less than years ago .01-.1 ppm. Std treatment for Ick is .15-.25 ppm

Most cooper that enters seawater in tanks leaves quickly. It is easily picked up by carbonate substrates, the reason behind a bare-bottom tank when treating for ick.

Samo

When the reagents starts to go bad on the SeaTest kit it often gives false readings of Cu being present when it is not. Try a test on a fresh sea mix and one on just Ro/DI water. If they all read the same the reagent is bad

thanks Boomer, so if i read you right then NSW has 0.051mg/l of copper?? if that is true then my reading of 0.05mg/l is just fine. although maybe a little high considering i use salt mixes instead of sea water???? but not dangerous. the kit is new but i know that is no guarantee.

Yes, I should have mentioned you are OK :D I should have also added, left out, that when the reagents go bad they usually read around .15 pp Cu++ in any kind of water:(

glad I was following this link, now I understand a little better myself

thank god for people willing to share their knowledge

Back